PNG Problem: Resolved, not a bug, just my stupid brother.

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rhoel

PNG Problem: Resolved, not a bug, just my stupid brother.

Post by Rhoel »

Not sure if this has been reported before - didn't find it with SEARCH.

My installation used to load PNG images with transparency without problem. I replaced one inage with an updated version and suddenly, the png images are invisible within the work area. Sometimes I get a black outline, sometimes I don't. Render the frame and everything renders okay.

It's very strange.

I can't do a re-install as my discs are still in transit between Thailand and here.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Rhoel.
Last edited by Rhoel on Thu May 31, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
myles

Re: PNG Problem

Post by myles »

Hi Rhoel,
Rhoel wrote:problem. I replaced one inage with an updated version and suddenly, the png images are invisible within the work area. Sometimes I get a black outline, sometimes I don't. Render the frame and everything renders okay.
[...]
Has anyone else had this problem?
Only with the obvious Display Quality settings at the bottom right of the work area.

I know you know all this and have probably checked all these settings already, so I'm just pointing out the obvious for other less experienced readers with a similar problem searching the archive.

Wireframe mode naturally won't show images.
Preview mode (no construction curves) won't show a black outline.
Smooth images without Images should still show the image, as should Images without Smooth Images, but not with both unchecked.
Fast buffer may affect the image preview.

Probably also worth checking the Current Layer settings at the bottom of the screen for the image layer itself.

Lastly, double-check the alpha layer of the replacement image in a different program (I always check it in IrfanView, but you have to set IrfanView to show the alpha channel and set a contrasting background colour).

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I have had the occasional glitch with PNG display. Usually I just resave the PNG from the original Photoshop PSD file and it fixes the problem.

I usually have much better luck using Photoshop's web export than saving it as a PNG directly.

-vern
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

heyvern wrote:I have had the occasional glitch with PNG display. Usually I just resave the PNG from the original Photoshop PSD file and it fixes the problem.

I usually have much better luck using Photoshop's web export than saving it as a PNG directly.

-vern
Hi Myles and Vern,

I'll go back and check again - the file was output from AS itself, and works well in Pageplus and combustion, so the alpha is there.

I might up load the file if I can't fix it. It is happening on several png's so I am suspecting either Photoshop or AS.

I'll keep you posted.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Gentlemen,

I would like to apologies on behalf of my stupid brother - he was the one who posted the original question: Definately, it wasdn't me, I am the one with brains ... he unfortunately, is retarded: When his was young we had to send him to a naturist club so he could learn to count to eleven. (His sister can count to twelve).

It would seem that whilst he was tampering with my wonderful AS, he inadvertantly turned off the 'smooth images' button.

Having used the advice here, I managed to resolve the problem he created. If he does it again, he'll only be able to count to ten.

My sincere apologies for his small and defective brain. It won't happen again. :roll:

Rhoel