Official Anime Studio Contest! - WINNERS POSTED!

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

bupaje

Official Anime Studio Contest! - WINNERS POSTED!

Post by bupaje »

Anime Studio Contest

e frontier America Inc., is proud to announce our first official Anime Studio contest! Anime Studio 5 is your complete 2D animation program for creating movies, cartoons, anime or cut out animations. Create your own desktop animated shorts in the style of SouthParkStudios.com and JibJab.com, or use Anime Studio to produce full-length animation for film, video or streaming over the web. Anime Studio allows digital enthusiasts at home and professionals in the studio to bring their imagination to life!
The Contest: Foota 2007!

What is Foota! Are you kidding me? What planet are you from! Earth? Oh, that explains it! Foota is the most popular interplanetary game in the known universe! Every ten years hundreds of planets send their best players to participate in this cosmic free for all. The rules are a lot like soccer except we get to stomp, bite, slime and blast our way across the field. The host planet also gets to pick the object to be kicked - we've had everything from a thorny Q'zar head (ouch!) to a Giant Ferelian Stinkbug (pew!) so this game ain't for pansies! The only time things didn't work out too well was when those Dorkians provided a 1000 megaton GravaBomb that vaporized the planet at kickoff.

This is where you come in Earthling! Merchants from every planet desperately want to get their products before the Quazillions of viewers who will watch Foota 2007! Now is your chance to use your artistic talents to create a commercial showcasing any one of a billion alien products or services (or human products aimed at aliens!).

Prizes!

• First place, $200 cash prize + one copy of any two e frontier software products (Poser 7 (English, French or German), Manga Studio 3, Anime Studio 5 Pro, Shade 8 Standard, Amapi 7, or MotionArtist 4)!
  • Second place, one copy of any one e frontier software product
  • Third place, one copy of any e frontier software product (less than $50)
The winners will also have their animation showcased at our booth at SIGGRAPH August 2007 in San Diego!

About the Judges

We are very fortunate to have Brian McEntee, Steve Moore and Theresa Cullen on our panel of judges. All three judges have extensive animation industry experience - in fact you've probably seen thier hand in some of your favorite movies. Click on their names to see a list of some of their credited work on Imdb.

Rules
  • The contest is open to licensed users of Moho or Anime Studio, or demo users(see below).
  • All work is to be the original content of the author.
  • All rights remain with the author, with the caveat that e-frontier be allowed non-exclusive use of the rendered video to showcase on their site if they choose. In the event they use the video the author will be credited.
  • The animation must be between 30 to 60 seconds in duration. This should make the competition achievable by everyone while allowing those who favor epics a little leeway.
  • The animation should be a commercial of sorts, but within that you have total leeway! Promote alien soda, a three-headed singer, a Hollywood agent looking for new alien talent, a movie spoof - the universe is the limit!
  • Do not use or reference any real copyrighted products in your animation - just make up the product names!
  • This is primarily an animation contest! The animation must be done in Anime Studio. Users can create backgrounds or character images in other programs, such as Photoshop, ArtRage, Gimp or even hand drawn and then use bones, layer, point or other method within Anime Studio for all animation. Bringing in pre-rendered animation from other programs as movie files or image sequences and simply running them in Anime Studio does not qualify as animating in Anime Studio.
  • Rendered video should be 320x240 in any commonly used video format and a copy should be be posted on a free service such as YouTube. If you are a winner a larger size may be rendered for display at SIGGRAPH.
  • We request that the .anme files of all entrants be made available for the purposes of learning. You may choose not to do so if you if you plan on reusing some of the content commercially, however if you are one of the finalists you will need to provide the files to the judges privately at least so that it can be verified that all of the animation was indeed done in Anime Studio.
  • Contest will start today and will go on till midnight July 15th, 2007. Please submit your entries to the following email address: footacontest@e-frontier.com, make sure to provide your name, and a link to your uploaded video (link should be to any video service such as Youtube, Photobucket, etc.) Winner will be announced on the e-frontier home page on July 31st, 2007!
Demo Version Users

If you want to enter the contest using the demo version you'll need to send a link to the zipped .anme file and any associated resources to fahim@e-frontier.com and he’ll export it out to an appropriate format. Participants have to make sure to supply all the files (including images) associated to their entries to avoid missing links and errors which Fahim will not be able to fix for you. Your best bet is to create a folder and save the .anme file and any images or other resources in that folder while you work.

Please do not send huge files directly to Fahim! If you don't have your own hosted space you can use yousendit.com or a similar service to send files.

The links to the demo version of Anime Studio Pro is www.e-frontier.com/go/animestudioprotrial
the link to the demo version of Anime Studio (Standard version) is www.e-frontier.com/go/animestudiotrial
Last edited by bupaje on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Impressive.

Count me in. Who knows...I may even finish something, which would be nice. :-)
D.C.I

Post by D.C.I »

oOooooo count me in!!!
though one question, can you only submit one entry per person?
I dont mean that in a greedy sence, its just so many ideas!!!!
thanx
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I sent an email to Fahim and will have an official answer for you regarding multiple entries. Regardless of what he says keep in mind that one great entry is better that several poor ones. I talked to a friend and with his help have gotten three great judges with industry experience.

The forum user voting idea didn't fly this time because the contest is being announced on several different forums that would make the voting difficult.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hmm...I'd consider entering my 'Little Project Thingie" that I've been working on, but it's not a commercial of any sorts...

oh well...
patrick

Post by patrick »

Mikdog wrote:Hmm...I'd consider entering my 'Little Project Thingie" that I've been working on, but it's not a commercial of any sorts...

oh well...
I may enter an advert for your 'Little Project Thingie'! :-D
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Maybe you can make a copy and modify it to be some sort of commercial. I'm not sure about where you live but around here commercials seem to be about anything and everything. I'm not sure what your project is but maybe it could even be a commercial advertising a new movie or TV series for example.

There has to be some parameters for a contest of this type or you might spend the month making a great animation only to have some guy submit an animation they finished previously that they spent 6 months or a year on. The few requirements make sure that every one has an opportunity to win.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I advertised cheese.

Here's my entry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlRI0pxMyaA
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

This looks great! I'm definitely entering.
patrick

Post by patrick »

I have a question on this rule:

All work is to be the original content of the author.

Does this extend to any/all images used in the animation?

For 2 specific examples:

1. I have a few png trees I'd like to use.

2. A nice background I created in Bryce, but it uses a texture that is included with Bryce.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

On the issue of multiple entries the official word is - it is ok- but you are encouraged to submit one quality entry rather than 3 sub par ones. Spend the time shaprpening the animtion as it is the main focus of the judges.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I was wondering if I could get a quick head count on how many are entrering? If you are working on an animation for this can you just briefly respond here? Thanks.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Yeah, I'm still working on my advert and am on schedule to finish it in time (just).
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I'm working on an entry but I have such a full plate at the moment I can't guarantee I will get done in time.

-vern
gietoupr

Post by gietoupr »

I'm working on an entry, as well.