About cloth animation (skirt,dress etc..)

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kutluhan

About cloth animation (skirt,dress etc..)

Post by kutluhan »

I am avare of anime studio since it was moho but started using it for a week or so. What i nee dis a clean skirt animation. I have looked over some skirt examples given through the forum. There was one complex example from the from view. In which i had no problem in front.

From the side its mostly ok. But when i try one with 45 degrees or so.. I am mixed up.

Does any body have a suggestion to make a rigging that wont move the skirt that much and wont make un wanted mixed splines.

you may take a look at my example shots to see waht i need to make.
BONE SETUP
unwanted bend on the back of the character..
Walking may not be a problem
unwanted bend on the front of the character..

Any suggestions
Genete

Post by Genete »

• Put bones to bind the clothes, not only the bones for the legs.
  • Don't put bones wher not neccesary (let flexible binding do the job).
  • Play with bone strength.
  • Separate the clothes in shapes and overlap them. You can always put a transition shape in between to give continuity.
  • At frame 0 split your character as described in the tutorials. It will give you more control to the clothes.
  • Link the clothes bones to the legs bone so they can follow them while walking.
Best
kutluhan

Post by kutluhan »

# Put bones to bind the clothes, not only the bones for the legs.

I will try that

# Don't put bones wher not neccesary (let flexible binding do the job).

Thats allright

# Play with bone strength.

I will check it

# Separate the clothes in shapes and overlap them. You can always put a transition shape in between to give continuity.

Arms, head, torso,skirt and feets are all seperated in different layers

# At frame 0 split your character as described in the tutorials. It will give you more control to the clothes.

I split them really far away to avoid bones effect each others control points

# Link the clothes bones to the legs bone so they can follow them while walking.

Thats the main idea i think.. How do you suggest me to link them..
Lets suppose 4 onthe left side of the skirt and 4 on the right.
Shall i add all 8 bones individually to the corresponding leg bones. (2 for the uppper bone and 2 for the lower bone on each side). Or should i only attach them by control over the pos. and rotation from the bone attributes etc..

Sorry for the looon question.. But i am trying to make a job about this animation right now. and i have only one week to finish 3 min animated clip like thing..
Touched

Post by Touched »

With things like skirts, I keep the skirt completely separate from the legs, with its own set of bones, and if you're using region binding for the main body as is usual, have a separate bone layer for the skirt with flexible binding instead. Genete mentioned flexible binding already, but I wanted to make sure this is clear in case of any language barrier. I use chains of very small bones for things like skirts.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Not necessary a direct link to the legs. It could be a sort of constraint and then fine tunning the clothes to cover the legs properly during animation. But far away at frame 0 or separate layers.

You should read the "Joints" thread in the Tips and Techniques for your character's arms (search "joints" and the most active one is the one). The "fan" bones for the joints is always a good thing (look your walking image on the character's right arm and see what I mean).

And remember, point motion also exists... :wink:

Good luck
Genete
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I agree with Touched. Keep the dress on a separate layer and the legs on another. I'd even go so far and have a separate bone layer just for the dress, because natural movement requires the dress to swing after ther movement of the legs. Doing this on a separate timeline is easier.

Just an aside: http://www.ninapaley.com/Sitayana/ has several finished scenes, done in Flash, some of them featuring dance. I say it's a very clever way to animate, and I really look forward to see the finished film.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Yep. Put the skirt on a separate layer. That'll work I guess.
kutluhan

Post by kutluhan »

Actally i tried to put it in a sepewrate layer and give extra bones. It worked. When i seperate the skirt away in the sceene alot.. And added skirty bones, I was able to arrange it as i like. The only thing is tyhat i will have to add additional key frames for the skirt to move according to the legs..

Thanks any one who has answered.. I will keep looking for new silly questions that i may ask.. :)