origami croc

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Post by DK »

This is cool! It's a simple shape but really fun to play with!

http://www.errolgray.com.au/headturn.anme

D.K
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

heyvern wrote:I bet I could design an actual origami croc based on your drawing. It is very simple design...You could put it on your desk and use it for reference.
That would be cool! If I send you the postage via PayPal would you mail it to me? (I'd have to email you my address, obviously).

J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

jahnocli wrote: That would be cool! If I send you the postage via PayPal would you mail it to me? (I'd have to email you my address, obviously).

J
Oh please! I can pay for postage. I will let you know what I come up with...

I found some old origami paper in my closet!

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

heyvern wrote:I bet I could design an actual origami croc based on your drawing. It is very simple design.

You could put it on your desk and use it for reference. ;)

... good grief one of these origami nuts designed a piano player AND a piano both folded together from a single sheet of paper. You pulled a flap and his hands move over the key board. Took me hours to fold that thing. ;)

Another nut folded working nail clippers from a square piece of sheet metal using a pair of pliers.

Origami is the coolest thing when you're a kid. You don't need anything but a piece of paper and your hands. When I was a kid I would get a pack of colored paper and could fold an entire zoo...

Man... I miss it. I haven't folded in years. Thanks for the flash back!

-vern
((Sorry for the off topic jahnocli ))

Hey! Vern! Is there anything in this world that you have not done before "when you were a child" ... ? I think you have have a looong and happy childhood ! :wink:
Seriously man, I'm impressed about your vast experience in any kind of art - related stuff... :D
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

heyvern wrote:Oh please! I can pay for postage. I will let you know what I come up with...
Ha ha -- Ok -- I didn't want to presume though...
heyvern wrote:I found some old origami paper in my closet!
You're a closet origamist now?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Genete wrote:I think you have have a looong and happy childhood ! :wink:
I did have a long childhood...

It isn't over yet! ;)

Origami was big for me. I was like that guy from the movie "Blade Runner"... always folding something.

Years ago I was on an origami mailing list. My username back then was "Origamiist".

-vern
kevin

Post by kevin »

DK, thanks! That is cool!
jahnocli

3/4 walking croc legs -- 90% there...

Post by jahnocli »

I've been trying to generate a 3/4 view "waddling origami croc" sequence. This is just point motion -- nothing fancy, but it conveys the type of movement I think the croc should be engaged in. Body next...I've had a few shots at that, and nothing much useful has come out yet. As always, this is harder than I thought...

waddling croc legs
human

Post by human »

Well, this is definitely a convincing walk motion.

Also, this is definitely a waddle, but it's not overdone.

Great job!
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

That's a really nice crocodile, and I like the walk you made, it's very convincing, good work!!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Thanks, guys! Trying to make the legs a bit shorter -- they are *still* too human. Trying to remember that quote I saw here: "the best is the enemy of the good". It's a great quote, something like my mother used to say: "the trouble with perfectionists is they never finish anything!" Being kind of obsessive, I'm trying to draw the line under things and move on to the next thing...
human

Post by human »

jahnocli wrote:Thanks, guys! Trying to make the legs a bit shorter -- they are *still* too human. Trying to remember that quote I saw here: "the best is the enemy of the good". It's a great quote, something like my mother used to say: "the trouble with perfectionists is they never finish anything!" Being kind of obsessive, I'm trying to draw the line under things and move on to the next thing...
Well, at the risk of being Enemy No. 1, I was thinking it would be nice to have a few sawtooth toes (maybe three) on the feet.

You may now send me to my room, tho.
Genete

Post by Genete »

jahnocli wrote:Thanks, guys! Trying to make the legs a bit shorter -- they are *still* too human. Trying to remember that quote I saw here: "the best is the enemy of the good". It's a great quote, something like my mother used to say: "the trouble with perfectionists is they never finish anything!" Being kind of obsessive, I'm trying to draw the line under things and move on to the next thing...
That was me who said that quote... Mmmm I have to apply it to myself...

BTW, Good front walk!!

keep it up!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

This is the latest walk -- I've shortened the legs, and tried to include the "construction/fold lines" to give it a more "papery" look...
human wrote:it would be nice to have a few sawtooth toes (maybe three) on the feet.
I agree -- but that comes later. I have drawn the toes on the feet in previous attempts at this, and that isn't too bad either. Trying to keep it simple...

J
JCook

Post by JCook »

jahnocli, I am loving this crocodile walk! Very good. It looks like 3D.

A little off-topic, but in the spirit of the posts about origami, here are a couple of links to places where people are making moving paper sculpture:

http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/
http://paperpino.net/showroom/

Pretty cool stuff.

Jack