GIF image into ASP5?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lizardboy347

GIF image into ASP5?

Post by lizardboy347 »

Is there any way I can get a GIF image into an ASP5 animation? I mean I can get a still GIF into ASP5 but can't I get a moving GIF into ASP5. I keep trying but its always coming out as still. Is there any way I can get it to move normally? For example.....
When I import this GIF into ASP5 as a picture,
it comes out still and not moving. Is there any way I can keep it moving in an animation? :roll:
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You would have two choices:

1) save out each frame as a single image and import to AS. Animate in AS probably using a switch layer or by placing each image on a layer and animating the visibility. Using a switch might be easier.

2) If you have access to the original file and software that was used to create it save it as an avi or mov file.

Obviously AS doesn't support animated GIF.

-vern
lizardboy347

Post by lizardboy347 »

Eh your choice one was my idea that I was thinking of doing but then I figured that was really going to take some time. But I guess its my only option because I don't have the original file. :(
Touched

Post by Touched »

If you have Flash, you can import an animated GIF, and then export it as a video file or as a sequence of images.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Good idea Touched.

Actually you might want to look around on the web for some free apps that have that option.

I wonder if the Gimp has the ability to save out mov or avi from animated gif?

There are a few pretty good non linear video editors out there for free that might be able to do this by importing the gif and then re-exporting it. I think there is actually a Gimp video editor.

I found a free screen grab utility that saves movie files. I just draw a box around the area I want and hit record. You could do that with the gif playing in a web browser.

-vern
Touched

Post by Touched »

heyvern wrote:I found a free screen grab utility that saves movie files. I just draw a box around the area I want and hit record.
That works too. Are you talking about CamStudio?
lizardboy347

Post by lizardboy347 »

Touched wrote:If you have Flash, you can import an animated GIF, and then export it as a video file or as a sequence of images.
Flash? Macromedia Flash? aw darnet. Don't have it. I had a choice between getting Flash and ASP5 and I chose ASP5. :P Is there any other free program that will allow me to do it? :roll:
human

Post by human »

lizardboy347 wrote:Is there any other free program that will allow me to (convert ani GIF -> AVI)?
Free trial of GIF Movie Gear:

http://www.gamani.com/

(Gee, considering how many times I've mentioned this proggie already... !)
rplate

Re: GIF image into ASP5?

Post by rplate »

lizardboy347 wrote:Is there any way I can get a GIF image into an ASP5 animation? I mean I can get a still GIF into ASP5 but can't I get a moving GIF into ASP5. I keep trying but its always coming out as still. Is there any way I can get it to move normally?it comes out still and not moving. Is there any way I can keep it moving in an animation? :roll:
Here you go LizardBoy,
I exported your gif fille in Quicktime Pro as an image sequence. 12 frames per sec.
So pick out the ones you want to import into ASP5.

http://homepage.mac.com/rplate/Sites/Dragon.zip
rplate

Post by rplate »

LizardBoy,

After experimenting with your Dragon image import, you may want to make the white background transparent.
See example. HERE... What that means is; import your images into something like photoshop elements,
or other draw program, and remove the background and save as a png file.
If your dragon animation is from Poser you can save it with a transparent background right from Poser.

By the way I did the sword fighter in ASP5 with point motion and added a short image file animation of your dragon.
To replay, (a Flash file) right click on the image and choose play.
lizardboy347

Post by lizardboy347 »

okay thanks! :D That dragon GIF was actually just an example but thanks anyway! :D