Any books or detaled guides about Moho?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Zaphod

Any books or detaled guides about Moho?

Post by Zaphod »

Don't suppose any one knows of any good books or guides to moho out there? I've seen some really increadible stuff done by Moho in the gallery and all, but can't begin to figure out how they were done. There are tutorials on the web but they don't seem to get too advanced, you know?
cribble

Post by cribble »

No Books, just tutorials. I'm sure there are some more somewhere over the internet. Have you tried google.com or any other search engine? I remember back in the old forum someone was constructing a load of tutroials form loads of people to make the MoHo book, but I've seen nothing of it so far.
--Scott
cribble.net
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

A lot of the older third-party tutorials might be obsolete by now.
-Keith
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

The tutorials in the manual are quite good to teach you the basics. From there on you can take several steps:

- Look at some examples in the gallery and try to understand how they are done.
- Set a goal you want to acomplish and try to figure out how to get there and which tools you need.
- Read about other animation software like Flash, there are lots of tutorials available and the general rules apply, both programs are vector based and 2D. Also look at programs like Animation Master which uses bones very much like Moho.
- Read about animation in general. Like this site http://www.awn.com/
- Watch animated movies, there are more and more special edition DVD's with great behind-the-scenes stuff.
- If you stumble upon an impossible hurdle just ask here.

I can understand the demand for tutorials but in all creative software each user has different methods for creating certain effects. Start making a very short animation where you want to achieve a certain goal. Then expand from there. A bit like drawing on pen and paper. You need to know how to hold a pen and how to apply ink to paper. Then you try a paintbrush, cut-out shapes with scissors etc. If you cheat the learning curve by reading to many specific tutorials you don't make the mistakes that are so important to make!

This might not be the answer you're hoping for but Moho is basically a very simple program that allows for very sophisticated output. But just like a pen and paper, it's the one that is using them that creates the art.

Good luck,

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
foundmarble

Post by foundmarble »

The hardest thing for me with Flash and MOHO was drawing....
I am a pencil and paper tooner.

I started off drawing cartoons in Flash. :!: (NOTE:not animating in Flash..ARGH!) :!: This helped a lot. Just getting into that "Vector" frame of mind.

cartoonsmart.com has awesome Tutorials. I payed 40 bucks for his in depth drawing tutorials and the only thing I regret is not doing it sooner!

Knowing these techniques has made my drawing abilities in Moho a much more pleasant experience. :lol:
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

After you do the tutorials that ship with Moho, try doing something with it. Learning by doing is your best bet, especially with Moho. It has such a shallow learning curve that I usually slap my head and say, "Duh!" after someone points out how they did something.

If you see something in the gallery, and can't reproduce the effect, post a question in the "How do I...?" forum. You'll almost always get a helpful response within a day or two.

Just start doing it and if you get stuck, someone here will probably already have gotten stuck there and be able to help you out.

Good luck!

Kdiddy
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

nobudget wrote:Moho is basically a very simple program that allows for very sophisticated output.
This is key. This should be etched in marble somewhere (along with "think outside the fish"). Or at least included in a FAQ. There are a small number of types of layers ... vectors, images, bones, 3D, particle, switch, etc., some of which are actually group layers with extra capabilities. Any kind of layer can go into a group layer, including another group layer. So the range of possibilities of what you can achieve, just by arranging these hierarchies in different ways, is enormous.

If one person on this group creates a set of tutorials for all the tips and tricks that person has come up with along the way, and you study only those, guess whose style your own work will look like a copy of? Or even if we compile a list of everybody's favorite tricks, it would have to be an ever-ongoing work in progress, because we will always be coming up with more.

Your best bet is to work on gaining an understanding of what the parts are (i.e. the basic tools, the types of layers and how they work), and then use your imagination to come up with ways of putting it all together.
-Keith