3D rig tutorial STEP BY STEP

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

3D rig tutorial STEP BY STEP

Post by Genete »

READ THIS FIRST:
ALTHOUGH IS RECOMMENDABLE TO LEARN THE INDEED THEORY OF THIS TECHNIQUE
YOU CAN GO DIRECTLY TO THE VIDEO TUTORIAL WEBPAGE TO LEARN THIS STUFF IN A VIDEO TUTORIAL STYLE
Hi all!!!

There are some users that requested me more detailed explanations about how to translate the 3D rig concepts that I have developed in Anime Studio.

For me is very difficult to make a very detailed tutorial without the interaction of the people what is learning to do the stuff.

So if you have readed the 3D rig Tutorial and didn't understand nothing or want to start learning how did I do a 3D hand or a 3D eye or a WIP 3D leg or even a easy bouncing, please cooperate to help me to know what have you understood or not. Read the basics and let me know what you don't understand. I'll try to clarify it and modify the tutorial and concepts of this starting post.
ADVICE FOR READERS: you probably would notice that this post would change a lot. Also you can notice that some of the questions in the thread are explained in the first post. Don't think people is silly. I update every section of this post according to the suggestions and understanding of what readers post in the thread.
BASIC KNOWING LEVEL NEEDED:

:arrow: 3D Basics:

- Ortogonal coordinates of a point (x, y, z). they are scalars and represent the coordinates of a point in space.
- Ortogonal axis X, Y and Z. They are vectors and starting form the origin (0,0,0) represent a tree right handed coodinate system.
- Rotation of a point by an axis. If you rotate a point by an axis it describes a circunference around the rotation axis. The radious of rotation is the shortest distance of the point to the axis.
- Rotation of the coordinate system by an axis. If you rotate the coordinate system (X,Y,Z) by an axis you obtain a new coordinate system (for example a rotation by Y makes a new coordinate system (X,Y,Z) -> X', Y, Z') where Y is the same as the original and X' and Z' are the rotated axis.
-Projection of a point over a plane. Is the result point of tracing a perpendicular line from the 3D space point to the plane. The intersection is the projection. See Orthographic Projection for more information.
- FRONT view is the XY plane. SIDE is the ZY and TOP is the ZX plane.

:arrow: Anime Studio / Moho basics:

- Select multiple bones
- Bone constraints.
- Copy and paste selected keyframes.
- Usage of Reparent Bone tool.
- Usage of Offset bone tool.
- Usage of Bone strength tool (numeric input).
- Usage of Move bone tool.
- Usage of scale bone tool (numeric input and drag mode)
- Usage of copy/paste bones script tool.

BASICS 3D CONCEPTS FOR THE PARTICUALR GENETE'S 3D RIG

(You probably would not understand points 7.) and 8.) for the moment. Be patient they will make sense later...)

1.) We are going to use the FRONT view in the animation.

2.) Every thing that exists in our virtual 3D space should be projected on the FRONT view. In the general case the camera view is the FRONT view and it is also the XY plane of the layer,

3.) We are going to have two main rotations. X and Y

4.) Any 3D point in space have a z coordinate. (if it is 0 no bone set up is neeed for this coordinte). But the z dimension is not visible in the XY projection so we need the SIDE view to calculate the z dimension.

5.) Lets start thinking on a X rotation. From the initial position, a X rotation should perform a vertical line in projection. The amount of the vertical traslation dependns on the amount of y and z of the point. In fact the radious of rotation is the square root of the sum of y*y + y*y (cartesian coordinates theory...). To know what is the real value of this rotation radious we go to the SIDE view.

6.) Imagine now that you are in the SIDE view. If you rotate the point by X it would perform a circle in the SIDE view projection. The circle can be achieved with a single bone but I need to separate the Z and Y coordinates of this rotation in two cinematic chains. Why? Because I want to make a poyection of the Z - SIDE projected rotation coordinate into the XY projection plane.

7.) To perform a rotation in the SIDE view I need two cinematic chains (springy chains) that gives me the Z and Y coordinates of the rotation circle independently but by a rotation of a single master bone (the Rot X master bone in the examples). But How can I project the Z coordinate of the rotation in the FRONT view?. I have invented a special variable springy cinematic chain that change its length with the rotation of another second master bone: The master Y rotation. So for the initial position of the point in the FRONT view, the lenght of the Z dimension of the SIDE rotation cinematic chain should be reduced to zero. Later if you perform a Y rotation, this springy cinematic chain would increase its length from zero to the final SIDE projected Z coordinate. It lets make different X rotation movement in the FRONT view from a line to a circle passing by an ellipse, only manipulating the Y rotation master bone. The SIDE view Y cinematic chain of rotation don't need to be modified in the FORNT projection because it have the same dimension in the SIDE and FRONT views

8.) Finally to complete the 3D rig it is needed to add a third springy cinematic chain to represent the X coordinate of the point. The X coordinate of the point is affected when a Y rotation is done and not by the X rotation.

This animation could help to understand the basics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQvky02DVhk

and now the STEP BY STEP tutorial

A) THE SPRINGY MECHANISM

You should be able to create by your self a bone chain like this:
It is done by two aligned bones and a last one perpendicular to them. The first bone A and the second bone B must have the same length. Bone A angle can be 0, 90, -90 or 180 depending of the case. the last bone direction can be any one but I usually make it perpendicular to the other two. The tree bones have angle constraints to a called "master" bone in this way:
Bone A (root): same rotation than master
Bone B: -2 times the rotation of the master
Bone C: same rotation of the master.

Also it is very impotant the parentship and the relative position: B is a child of A and C is a child of B. And B is situated at the end of the length of A and C is at the end of the legnth of B.

With this bone set up you have a linear horizontal (vertical or what ever orientaion have the mechanism) oscilation of the final bone (C) controlled by a master bone rotation. If A length is "a" and B length is "b=a" then coodinate x of the final bone C is:
x= 2*a*cos (master.angle)
suposing that the master bone have its initial angle set to zero)

Please review the sample file and try to do the same but instead an horizonatal oscilation a vertical oscilation. Please start from scratch.

http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/3DTutorial/springy.anme

Did you do it? Congratulations!
The result shluod be more or less like this:

http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/3DTutoria ... -vert.anme

:idea: Tips for make easy this step.
- Make use of the ALT-click when adding bones. If you want to add a new root bone you shoud unselect all bones byclicking to no bone with the Select bone tool or by the faster way making a ALT-clic during the use of the Add Bone tool. It unselect all bones and let you add a new root one.
- Make use of the grid snap to quickly create the springy mechanism. In this way you don't have to make a SHIFT drag and also don't need to correct the length of the bone A and B to be exactly the same.

B) THE SPRINGY MECHANISM PLUS A TARGET BONE

Those three bones (A,B and C) are constrained bones (by master one) so they can be hidden in the animation mode other than the frame 0. Imagine that a final model would have 20 or 30 of those springy chains and all of them are over the vector layer... It could be a big mess... So I use another bone to be linked to the bone C (which is really who makes the final desired oscilation) what we can call bone D. The points of the model are controlled by bone D and not by bone C. With this I can have a clear model where the bones over the vector layer are minimum. Also I usually make the bone that moves the point as small as needed to try to avoid influence to other points. (We will see that this is not really needed because you can use the offset bone tool to avoid bone influence of the bone to other points if you want it). For the moment we are only going to make an oscilation of a point (a circle) in a horizontal direction.

Try to do this:
Open the springy file. Remove the letters. Zoom out (to make the springy chain smaller in relation to the visible area. Add a new bone (D) linked to bone C, far away of the springy mechanism and away of the master bone.
Create a circle over the bone D. Try the Manipulate bones tool and check out that the bone D moves horizontally with an stroke of double the length of A (or B).
:idea: Also is convenient remove any strength to all the bones that are not target bones (in this case master, A, B and C). To do it in one step you should select all of them (fazek modified select point/bone/shape tool is very useful for this due to its lasso mode) and select the Bone Strength tool. Then go to the numeric input and write 0 or drag with the right button of the mouse to the left). All the bones are modified at the same time. A lot of time saved!!!. I love this program!

Try it out before open this file.

Done? ... Congratulations! You have a rotating ball thru the Y axis!!!!

C) GIVING SENSE TO THE SPRINGY MECHANISM

Perhaps you didn't realize that the actual position of the white ball in the previous example file was tracing a projection of a point in space when makes a rotation trhu the Y axis.

Look this image and its corresponding file.

http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/3DTutoria ... -viwe.anme

In the image you can see that the initial position of the white ball is given by its coordinates (x,y,z). In this case its initial values are x=2*a; y=0 and z=0. Assuming thet length of bone A (equal to B) is a.

If you move the master bone increasing the angle (positive Y rotation) then the x coordinate of the ball decreases in the FRONT view. Also if you consider the TOP view you can see that ALSO the Z coordinate of the ball is modified when master bone rotates. It is due to the artifact that I have made for the TOP view to make you understand the 3D movement. The bone in the TOP view is not part of the 3D rig. Only for educational propouses.

Then, the z value of the target point goes from 0 to negative (-2*a) and again to 0 when master bone goes from 0 to 180.

You can see also that FRONT and TOP views are consistent in terms of Ortographic projection.

Now the excercise is not so simple.
Use the sample file and modify it to make the ball do a rotation along the X axis. Tips: you should rotate the springy mechanism, create the SIDE view and add the false bone for the side view to see the rotation working. The SIDE view would be on the left of the image from your point of view because I will use european projection system (first angle projection).

Have you tried it? Come on!!. Try and show me your results!

If you cannot wait here is the sample file.

-------------------------
Tutorial continues in a new post.
-------------------------

The content of this tutorial is under Creative Commons licence conditions.
Last edited by Genete on Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 8 times in total.
DK

Post by DK »

Great work Genete! I will send some feedback as soon as i get some quiet time to study your post.

D.K
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Genete.
There is one problem that I had but solved.
When I created my "A B C" bones I still had my Master bone selected so they became parented to the Master. I figured out that after you create the Master bone, deselect everything and then create A,B and C bones so they are parented together. My bones now all work as per your example!
Ready for the next step :)

D.K
Genete

Post by Genete »

DK wrote:Hi Genete.
There is one problem that I had but solved.
When I created my "A B C" bones I still had my Master bone selected so they became parented to the Master. I figured out that after you create the Master bone, deselect everything and then create A,B and C bones so they are parented together. My bones now all work as per your example!
Ready for the next step :)

D.K
Good point DK.
There is no problem with the initial bone parentship because you can always reorder it later. To avoid this I make always the initial parentship as similar as I can to the final desired one. To do this I make use of the ALT key when adding a bone. ALT + a mouse click unselect any selected bone and allow you make a new root bone with the Add bone tool.

Another tip is that I make extensive use of the grid snap to make the bones A and B the same length and alingment.

Did you do the sample but vertically? If yes congratulations.
I probably would post a new step tonight. If not you have to wait until 9th.

By the way, happy holy week.

Best
Genete
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Genete.
Is rotating the main bone layer 90 deg cheating? :)

D.K
Genete

Post by Genete »

DK wrote:Hi Genete.
Is rotating the main bone layer 90 deg cheating? :)

D.K
No. You should not touch the layer for nothing!!. Start from scratch again and do the same but the A,B, C bones should have a vertical alignement. A's angle should be 90 (-90 is fine too) B's angle continue being 0 due it is parented to bone A. C's angle can be 90 respect to B (his parent). Then you can move the bone C vertically and not horizontally like the example.
good luck.

Genete
------------------
EDITED:
It should look like this.
http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/3DTutoria ... -vert.anme
link corrected

In fact you need only to rotate 90 degrees (or -90) the bone A at frame 0 to achieve a vertical sptingy chain. But it is better to practice doing it form scratch.
Last edited by Genete on Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Genete. That link to the verticle file does not work :(

D.K
Genete

Post by Genete »

Now it works. Sorry. :oops:
DK

Post by DK »

Thanks for that genete. Fantastic!

D.K
Genete

Post by Genete »

New step added: B) THE SPRINGY MECHANISM PLUS A TARGET BONE
Also some style fixing and modifications of some points.
Added Copyrights
slice11217

Post by slice11217 »

Hey Genete,

So yeah, I have to say thanks for making the effort to explain things, firstly. Unfortunately after reading this thread I feel really kinda stupid or something.

I would say that it totally flies over my head but that's not really true. I do understand some of it and I think I've figured out what the problem is. I really want to understand it and since as I recall you began this thread to get feedback for better explaining advanced concepts and techniques, I'm going to try to write a fairly long explanation of what I think you could do to make it easier to understand.

Firstly, I don't think the problem is a Spanish to English thing. I've read a number of your posts and you discuss some fairly advanced ideas and there are people who are able to follow what you're saying, so you're able to communicate in your second language effectively enough to get your ideas across. Therefore I think we can eliminate the issue of a language barrier, at least where it concerns Spanish to English.

Genete, I'm not trying to patronize you here, but you're obviously a very smart guy and I think you're having the same problem that a computer repairman has when he's trying to talk a non-techie through a problem. The repairman starts talking about motherboards and processors and caches, etc. and the customer just kinda feels alienated.

You obviously have a math or geometry background, am I right? Or perhaps math is a hobby for you?

Here's the thing: maybe I'm wrong, but I imagine that since AS is a animation application and therefore art-related, most (not all) of the members on the forum have a pretty strong art background. Art knowledge uses a part of the brain that is nearly polar opposite to math knowledge.

From what I can tell, a lot of what you write comes out of a math or geometry based paradigm. So basically what you're saying is: "I've discovered how to do this wonderful thing, but in order to understand it you're going to have to meet me over here in math-land." This was my experience when reading the section called "basic knowing level needed". It was very alienating to me to read this section and ultimately turned me off.

As a teacher I think it would be more useful for you to go to your student's paradigm and lead them back to yours. In other words, instead of what you currently say, start with: "I'm going to meet you in art-land and show you a road to math-land." You'll reach a wider cross-section of people this way and your message will have far more effectiveness. Assume that most artists know what perspective is and that things get smaller as they move further back in space, and what foreshortening is, etc.

It might be best to simply require a basic knowledge of Anime Studio and work from there. I would also assume that the reader isn't using any added scripts; that they're basically starting with Anime Studio as it comes, straight out of the box (or download, as the case may be.)

Try starting by saying something like: "I'm going to show you how to make a Jack-In-The-Box spring out of its box". Leave the theory out of the lesson at the beginning. It's overwhelming. If people really want to know the theory at the beginning they'll ask. Also, leave out anything that "might make sense later". This alienates newbies also. Explain it to them when the time comes, not before.

Assume that most people aren't going to do anything that requires changing the view from what's there initially when they open the software. At least don't try to get anyone to do this until they've successfully followed you for a while.

Keep everything simple, very basic.

As an animation professional, I've used 3D software in my career but I don't use it everyday. In fact I haven't used 3D software in a number of years. I can tell you however, that when I've used it the dialogue in my head would go something like: "OK, that point is a little too close; move it back. Now it's a little too much to the right; move it left." -Not: "OK, place a point at 25, 14, 90. -That doesn't fit -move it to 20, 18, 85."

It's very fuzzy logic for me and I imagine that this is the experience of most artist/animators. Most artist/animators, in their education, have had classes where the goal was to learn how to draw or paint objects in such a way where they appear to have mass in space, to have distance from the viewer and how to create the illusion of perspective manually. So while most of us may not analyze 3D scientifically like a mathmetician would, we do understand how it works.

I know this is really long but I hope it helps. I also hope that it's not offensive because I really believe that you're doing some fascinating things that you want to share with everyone and I know it can be frustrating to have people look at you dumbfoundedly. I'm trying to lead you to, well, me at least, and I hope that in doing so it helps you to talk to more people as well.

Have a great day.

Slice11217
byanfu

Post by byanfu »

Great information Genete. It's going to take me a while to absorb it all.
DK

Post by DK »

Slice, I think you hit the nail right on the head with that post. This is why I am trying to understand Genetes concept in basic steps so that I might be able to help pass the info on to the other AS users. We all have to thank Genete for spending the time on this tutorial and i did'nt want to seem rude for asking him to do it but his technique will ultimately be very rewarding for all AS users and maybe even be something that is eventually incorporated into the program itself at some stage. If we could get more people to make such comments on this topic like you Slice it would be fantastic and not to mention encouraging for Genete to continue. Let's not forget heyvern as well here. What he has done with this techique is truly amazing. Let's hope we can all get to that stage sometime in the near future.

Cheers
D.K
Genete

Post by Genete »

slice11217 wrote:

Hey Genete,

So yeah, I have to say thanks for making the effort to explain things, firstly. Unfortunately after reading this thread I feel really kinda stupid or something.

Thanks to you for read it and reply it sincerly.

I would say that it totally flies over my head but that's not really true. I do understand some of it and I think I've figured out what the problem is. I really want to understand it and since as I recall you began this thread to get feedback for better explaining advanced concepts and techniques, I'm going to try to write a fairly long explanation of what I think you could do to make it easier to understand.

Firstly, I don't think the problem is a Spanish to English thing. I've read a number of your posts and you discuss some fairly advanced ideas and there are people who are able to follow what you're saying, so you're able to communicate in your second language effectively enough to get your ideas across. Therefore I think we can eliminate the issue of a language barrier, at least where it concerns Spanish to English.

Thanks. I do all my best to make my english better every day.

Genete, I'm not trying to patronize you here, but you're obviously a very smart guy and I think you're having the same problem that a computer repairman has when he's trying to talk a non-techie through a problem. The repairman starts talking about motherboards and processors and caches, etc. and the customer just kinda feels alienated.

Ouch! you have reason. But I'm not a art expert or animator expert. I'm a hobylist only...In drawing (artist) skills I am very basic. In thechnician drawing I'm good. Also I'm (was ...) good in maths stuff.

You obviously have a math or geometry background, am I right? Or perhaps math is a hobby for you?

You're rigth. I'm industrial engineer. Six years sutding engineering gives you some background although I didn't practice some of the learned skills all they are in my mind. it is like ride a bicycle. You learn it when you are a child and never forget it.

Here's the thing: maybe I'm wrong, but I imagine that since AS is a animation application and therefore art-related, most (not all) of the members on the forum have a pretty strong art background. Art knowledge uses a part of the brain that is nearly polar opposite to math knowledge.

Hehe, I didn't know. We have to make a bridge crossing those brain areas..

From what I can tell, a lot of what you write comes out of a math or geometry based paradigm. So basically what you're saying is: "I've discovered how to do this wonderful thing, but in order to understand it you're going to have to meet me over here in math-land." This was my experience when reading the section called "basic knowing level needed". It was very alienating to me to read this section and ultimately turned me off.

You're absolutely right. I have been so strict with the basic starting skills. But I have two problems. 1) I want the reader to achieve a geometry and math level that is the minimum to leave him make its own design. 2) That geometry and math level is more or less basic for a engineering level and so far away for a art related expert. If I start explaining to people what is an ortogonal projection or the cartesian coordinates in detail and with samples I could loose the focus of the tutorial. This is for middle geometry and math people who are in animation world. For example anyone who have used a 3D modeller should know what i'm talking about. If you are a frame by frame hand draw animator you are so far away to understand this turorial. I'm sorry but it is true. I cannot go to the very basic exaplanation because it is not may intention and also (the most important) have not enough time.

As a teacher I think it would be more useful for you to go to your student's paradigm and lead them back to yours. In other words, instead of what you currently say, start with: "I'm going to meet you in art-land and show you a road to math-land." You'll reach a wider cross-section of people this way and your message will have far more effectiveness. Assume that most artists know what perspective is and that things get smaller as they move further back in space, and what foreshortening is, etc.

Honestly. I have done a lot of samples and another quick tutorial and nobody have understood nothing. Only ulrik used my springy mechnaism for other different propouse than the turning. It was frustrating. I was feeling so lonely in the forum. Anyway I'll be happy if only one can understand all this stuff and make its own 3D rig fo r itself. heyvern says that uses my springy mechanism for eyes rotation. Yeah. He doesn't know nothing about maths, but he did it. Where is the problem then? heyvern have setted up the bones in a tryal error style. It is not productive for any kind of model. You should know why the bone setup is in this way and not in other. When you start to model more than two point in space your brain starts to boil. If you dont learn the step by step how to rig a point then you get loose at the third springy mechanism...

It might be best to simply require a basic knowledge of Anime Studio and work from there. I would also assume that the reader isn't using any added scripts; that they're basically starting with Anime Studio as it comes, straight out of the box (or download, as the case may be.)

This is a medium skill AS user tutorial. I'm sorry but that's the way it is.

Try starting by saying something like: "I'm going to show you how to make a Jack-In-The-Box spring out of its box". Leave the theory out of the lesson at the beginning. It's overwhelming. If people really want to know the theory at the beMy response i was long also. But I enjoyed to read yours.ginning they'll ask. Also, leave out anything that "might make sense later". This alienates newbies also. Explain it to them when the time comes, not before.

It is like say to you where to put the bones for a particular propouse but you don't know what are you doing. Mmmm maybe it works but I think I'm focusing the toturial on making exercises samples from the very begining.. It is required some effort from the student to try to undertand the basics. If the tutorial is really followed you can rig what ever you want. If not you will learn to rig a "Jack-In-The-Box spring out of its box" only and nothing more.

Assume that most people aren't going to do anything that requires changing the view from what's there initially when they open the software. At least don't try to get anyone to do this until they've successfully followed you for a while.

This is a new thechnique. People don't need it to make animation!!!! It is only another tip to make head / body and 3D stuff turning easier. People who want it, learn it and use it. It is like using heyvern's 2.5D rig for head turns. If you want it learn it and use it. Unfortunately I have my art part of my brain not so much developed so I cannot follow the heyvern's 2.5D rig easily. I cannot make things by eye. I was trained to exactly predict "what would happen if I pull this handle". I'm sorry. That's the way I am.

Keep everything simple, very basic.

As an animation professional, I've used 3D software in my career but I don't use it everyday. In fact I haven't used 3D software in a number of years. I can tell you however, that when I've used it the dialogue in my head would go something like: "OK, that point is a little too close; move it back. Now it's a little too much to the right; move it left." -Not: "OK, place a point at 25, 14, 90. -That doesn't fit -move it to 20, 18, 85."

It's very fuzzy logic for me and I imagine that this is the experience of most artist/animators. Most artist/animators, in their education, have had classes where the goal was to learn how to draw or paint objects in such a way where they appear to have mass in space, to have distance from the viewer and how to create the illusion of perspective manually. So while most of us may not analyze 3D scientifically like a mathmetician would, we do understand how it works.

Hehe. In the 80's every one who have a car could mak its own hme reaparations to fix some mechanical problem. Now nobody is able to look inside a modern car, but you can drive now more or less the same way than in those years. I want people to open the hood of Anime Studio and investigate the maximum benefits of this wonderful program. Reading this forum I beleive it have been the aim of all the most active users of it. Add new features for this wonderful program, heyvern's thech is a sample. Mine is other.

I know this is really long but I hope it helps. I also hope that it's not offensive because I really believe that you're doing some fascinating things that you want to share with everyone and I know it can be frustrating to have people look at you dumbfoundedly. I'm trying to lead you to, well, me at least, and I hope that in doing so it helps you to talk to more people as well.

My response i was long also. But I enjoyed to read yours.

Have a great day.

Slice11217

Same for you

Finally let me say that any phrase, sample or supoused knoledge that you don't understand (for very small that the doubt it were) please let me know. I'll do all my best to try to make you understand the doubt, using visual examples if possible. I only aks for patient on my replies beacuse it takes long time to make samples, write the tutorial and so on. But I do it gladly.

Best
Genete
Genete

Post by Genete »

DK wrote:Slice, I think you hit the nail right on the head with that post. This is why I am trying to understand Genetes concept in basic steps so that I might be able to help pass the info on to the other AS users. We all have to thank Genete for spending the time on this tutorial and i did'nt want to seem rude for asking him to do it but his technique will ultimately be very rewarding for all AS users and maybe even be something that is eventually incorporated into the program itself at some stage. If we could get more people to make such comments on this topic like you Slice it would be fantastic and not to mention encouraging for Genete to continue. Let's not forget heyvern as well here. What he has done with this techique is truly amazing. Let's hope we can all get to that stage sometime in the near future.

Cheers
D.K
None of you would worry about me. I will continue with this tutorial anyway. But I need some feed back. It is needed to make my explanations more close to "your language".
Best
See you next 9th. I'm goning to Rome!!!! :wink: