Still having trouble with bones

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AlanPS

Still having trouble with bones

Post by AlanPS »

I'm still trying to do walk cycles- I know, I should have it down by now. I read someone's post that you can create actions for the legs moving and another action such as the character waving. (So annoyed at this that I posted a feature request that only the portion of the limb you are working on be visible in the timeline. It' so confusing with all those keyframes there when I haven't moved the other leg at all).

I have pasted the legs moving action into the main timeline, but when I paste the arms moving action into the timeline it overwrites the legs moving frames.

I had originally inserted a Reset All Bones on frame 1 of each action. I thought that was causing the keyframes do be overwritten, so I deleted that keyframe but still the arms moving frames are overwriting the legs moving frames.

How do I paste separate actions on the main timeline without overwriting each other?
Genete

Re: Still having trouble with bones

Post by Genete »

AlanPS wrote:I'm still trying to do walk cycles- I know, I should have it down by now. I read someone's post that you can create actions for the legs moving and another action such as the character waving. (So annoyed at this that I posted a feature request that only the portion of the limb you are working on be visible in the timeline. It' so confusing with all those keyframes there when I haven't moved the other leg at all).

I have pasted the legs moving action into the main timeline, but when I paste the arms moving action into the timeline it overwrites the legs moving frames.

I had originally inserted a Reset All Bones on frame 1 of each action. I thought that was causing the keyframes do be overwritten, so I deleted that keyframe but still the arms moving frames are overwriting the legs moving frames.

How do I paste separate actions on the main timeline without overwriting each other?
There is a small idea that would help you. Regarding to your first paragraph I have to remind you that the layer channels (bones in particular) have two lines: the general and the special one dedicated to the selected one(s). So you can copy and paste the only the keyframes if the selected bones channel. I this way you can copy a portion of arm moving to another frames without overriding the keyframes of the legs.

On the other hand regarding to actions on bones. when you create a new action on a bone you must not touch with the manipulate bone or any of the tools that create a keyframe, any other bone that you don't want to move inside the action definition. In this way you can actions than can overlap wtih other actions that move other bones. Paste an action or insert a reference only paste the keyframes for the manipiulated bones inside the actions without affecting the other keyframes. It works in the same way as copying the keyframes of the selected bones channel as I previously said.

You can review the 5.6 tutorial and the Action window under User interface help area.

Best

Genete
AlanPS

oh

Post by AlanPS »

Genete

I actually figured out oday that the bone angle portion of the timeline was what I should be paying attention to. I'll give the actions stuff another shot. If anything I can use the legs moving animation and duplicate it, and add other frames to it for other movements.

Thanks for the info.
Alan