Shapes as bones?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jhbmw007

Shapes as bones?

Post by jhbmw007 »

I'm not sure if AS is capable: Let's say you have a character that is made up of basic shapes- pear shape for the body, circles for shoulders, ovals for biceps and forearms, etc. Then you draw his "skin" over the shapes- the edge lines that would bring these shapes together as the main shape of his body. Is there a way to move these underlying shapes around as bones- (rotating as well as stretch/squash) with the skin following the motion of these "shape bones"?

Here's a quick sketch I did to kinda show what I'm suggesting:

The darker lines representing the "skin" that joins the shapes- the shapes would be moved as bones, with the ability to be stretched about as with point animation- but the point is to keep those general shapes intact while moving the character around. My sketch may be too generic and maybe the current bone system can already do this- but I'm thinking this principle could be applied in more detail- such as a character's face.
rplate

Re: Shapes as bones?

Post by rplate »

jhbmw007 wrote:I'm not sure if AS is capable: Let's say you have a character that is made up of basic shapes- pear shape for the body, circles for shoulders, ovals for biceps and forearms, etc. Then you draw his "skin" over the shapes- the edge lines that would bring these shapes together as the main shape of his body. Is there a way to move these underlying shapes around as bones- (rotating as well as stretch/squash) with the skin following the motion of these "shape bones"?

Here's a quick sketch I did to kinda show what I'm suggesting:

The darker lines representing the "skin" that joins the shapes- the shapes would be moved as bones, with the ability to be stretched about as with point animation- but the point is to keep those general shapes intact while moving the character around. My sketch may be too generic and maybe the current bone system can already do this- but I'm thinking this principle could be applied in more detail- such as a character's face.
Could this be what you're talking about? These two guys know everything there is to know about bones. Vern & Genete

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8069
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

Ah- I have no idea what those guys are talking about lol! I'm still too much a noob. Perhaps they will give some insight.

I think this technique might be too ambitious. You'd need the shapes region bound, but the skin flexible bound, and attached to the shapes. Since you can't bind 2 points that are in seperate layers, I don't think this is possible?
Genete

Post by Genete »

It is easier than you can imagine.
First draw the basic shapes (circles and ovals). Also make the darker lines connecting to the previous shapes. Then put bones over them as any of the examples that come with AS (spine, legs, arms, head...) And move the bones... It would work. Also you can make fine points adjustment at any frame for any pose. The fine points adjustment would follow the corrdinate systems of the bone that it is influenced for. It would work as spected. Try it.
I'll post an example if you wish.

Good luck

Best
Genete
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

Thanks Genete. I did what you said and set the bone layer to region binding. Looks like this will work- going to try to apply it to a more complex model. Fantastic!
Genete

Post by Genete »

I have traced the left arm of your example with the basic shapes and then have added the "skin" as you have described. Also have added an skeleton and have bind the points of every shape to its conrresponding bone (so the shape is rigged as the bone). Moving the bone it moves the shape. The extra points of the skin are moved influenced for all the bones that overlap the point. I have putted only one overal shape to represent the skin. This is not the best way to prepare a character because the shape overlaps itself and can make a hole then. It is better to have several shapes in different layers also to allow shape ordering and outline hiding (by other shapes). I have done in this way to show you the problem.
The arm and the hand (also fingers) are moved by bone movement only but I have also added some point motion for one of the fingers. Finger 1.
I have also called the group of points that represent the "shape skeleton" of every finger to allow easily select it and do any of the point operation (remember always relative to the bone). For instance to return the finger to its original shape I have selected the "finger 1" from the dropdown list for the translate point tool and then pressed to the Reset button.

The files
http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/Mohostuff/shape-bones.swf
http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/Mohostuff ... bones.anme

Your idea is good but need to have different shapes for every limb that could overlap ver the others to prevent for holes and to simplify line hidding. If you have more than one shape then the "skin" could not work in the way you have described. And finally you should discard the basic shapes and do the limb in the tradiotional way. Several shapes but connected with shared border lines.

http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/Mohostuff ... -bones.swf
http://amanoalzada.iespana.es/Mohostuff ... bones.anme

Genete