my 3d models keep on turning white when i open my A.S. file

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bboyclike

my 3d models keep on turning white when i open my A.S. file

Post by bboyclike »

every time i try and open my a.s. file that has the 3d models in it, the 3d models turn white! that is, NO COLOR! zilch! nada!... :( what's going on? how can i make it to where when i open my file, the color will show up on the model?
Genete

Post by Genete »

The material file of the 3D model must be in same folder the obj file is. Is it?
The 3D sample files brought with AS do it in that way.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

I am assuming you are seeing a black line around the outline too.

AS uses a texture map to create colour on its objects. Those maps are saved out separately as a jpeg or whatever.

So you have to make sure the object has a texture map, and the map/s are in the same folder.

Check your source files in Windows Explorer (or whatever OS directory viewer you are using) and make sure your have a texture map of some description. If they are present, then we have to look elesewhere for the solution.

You won't be the firs tto have serious problems importing 3D objects. Currently, its not user friendly.

Rhoel
bboyclike

Post by bboyclike »

thanks guys... i got it working now, it seems i didn't put the .obj and .mtl file in the same directory as the Anime Studio file...anywho, thanks again guys!
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

bboyclike wrote:thanks guys... i got it working now, it seems i didn't put the .obj and .mtl file in the same directory as the Anime Studio file...anywho, thanks again guys!
Quick question: Are you makingyour own objects and texture?

If so, what program are you using and areyou experiencing scaling problems when importing your files.

I have proposed before we have a seperate discussion area for 3D, specifica;;y so we can build a common data base to move this side of the program forward.

I currently use Blender but I have still to find the right combination to make the wholet hing usable on a practical level.

Rhoel.
bboyclike

Post by bboyclike »

Rhoel wrote:
bboyclike wrote:thanks guys... i got it working now, it seems i didn't put the .obj and .mtl file in the same directory as the Anime Studio file...anywho, thanks again guys!
Quick question: Are you makingyour own objects and texture?

If so, what program are you using and areyou experiencing scaling problems when importing your files.

I have proposed before we have a seperate discussion area for 3D, specifica;;y so we can build a common data base to move this side of the program forward.

I currently use Blender but I have still to find the right combination to make the wholet hing usable on a practical level.

Rhoel.
yes, i am making my own objects and texture. And i am currently using the same program that you are using (Blender) for modeling and matierial setup, and for some reason i'm expieriencing scaling problems when importing my files, which takes alot of hard work to adjust so that two human .obj files are the same hieght. do you have a solution to the scaling problem?
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

bboyclike wrote: do you have a solution to the scaling problem?
Yup.

The objects come in too big, way too big. Even if I take the standard 1 unit cube (that Blender opens with) and import that, it is larger than the AS camera.

What is need ed is a filter on the import 3D Object interface, which permits the unit scale to be input ... that is, you can scale the objectat inport: This would make things very much more controlable and usable.

I was playing woth making tables and chairs, then having a character walk around the table (using the z depth).

But the headache of getting the object size right, has put me off the testing.

Rhoel.

Addendum:

I did some more tests - The default 1 unit cube is about the same scale as the entire default camera of AS: So if you make an object as per normal, then introduce a new> cube, you can scale down your object to match the cube. It then imports at approximately the right size.

But beware of comstucting "rooms" using a box with one vertice removed (to leave 3 walls). AS does not map the inside of an object! Just learned that the hard way.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

This may have already been mentioned and if so, I apologize. Under "Scripts" -> "3D" is a script called "auto-scale". After importing a 3d obj file, run this script on it and it will be scaled to a much more manageable size.

jorgy
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

jorgy wrote: Under "Scripts" -> "3D" is a script called "auto-scale". After importing a 3d obj file, run this script on it and it will be scaled to a much more manageable size.

jorgy
Hi, Thanks for this pointer - Had forgotten about it, especially the rotate axis functions. ... I'll paly with it again some more.

I have been using DeepPaint 3D to work on the material maps - the results have been very good so far: Now to build the complete set then try again to import.

Rhoel