Joints

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Well, I can't guarantee this is the problem, but this has happened to me and it turned out to be "double-parked points". Some of those points are likely duplicated right on top of each other, and you just have to tweak each one in turn to find them. This mostly occurs in imported vector artwork, and can take some time to sort out...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You've got some "funky" shapes there man!

This can happen sometimes.

The only way I have found to fix it is to delete the "shapes" (not the vectors the fills) and redo them.

Many times AS will allow you to create a shape that isn't "correct". The preview display shows the "fill pattern" and when you hit the space bar a shape seems to be created but it will do what you see in your example here.

If you zoom in and out before hitting the space bar make sure the fill pattern doesn't disappear and reappear. This is what happens to me. If the fill pattern before shape creation is "acting funny" the shape is probably not right.

I think this is caused by how the vectors are connected or other weird things... and also what Jahnocli said.

For instance, suppose you have 2 points connected in a "line" that aren't CONTINUOUS. They were connected with dangling points on the ends and those points were removed later. Depending on how you select points around them, this may cause strange fills.

Also try to create distinct individual shapes in problem areas. AS has a problem with "split" fills that share two points. This will cause weird fills or none at all.

This is what I called in the past "Moho Voodoo". ;) I was never exactly sure how it happened but it would get fixed when I deleted all the shapes and redid them... carefully watching how I was selecting points.

The key is to watch the fill shape preview and zoom or pan to make sure the fill is correct. You don't have to do this every time but if you think it might be weird just pan the view. If the pattern flashes on and off you've got a problem with the shape selection.

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Here is how this may happen.

This closed curve cannot be filled this way.

If this point is deleted...

... this is the resulting closed curve

Which still can't be filled.
muuvist

Post by muuvist »

Which still can't be filled.[/quote]

I actually recreated your example and discovered that the right side vertical line is actually TWO lines; one on top of the other, if you use the delete edge tool and click on that line you'll find that the upper one disappears and you're left with a closed shape that can be filled.
(Apologies if I'm just stating the obvious here.)
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

No, that's alright. The problems is that when you have imported a vector drawing with 500 points or so, it is almost impossible to detect that double edge. You eventually find it, but in most cases it is much faster to trace the vector image in a new layer with the AS drawing tools.
dreeko13

Post by dreeko13 »

i think the problem is coming from the body shape crossing over its self creating holes .........a way round this i cannot see?!! .can yooze?
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

See this screenshot:

The two rectangles at the left top corner are two separate shapes. They are created by selecting each rectangle separately and creating a shape. The two rectangles at the right corner are one shape. It is created by selecting both rectangles at the same time and creating a shape.

What you appeared to have done is selecting several points and creating a single shape out of it. The shape was created over the existing white shapes. Now when a shape overlaps itself, it cancels the fill where there is an overlap, just like in the bottom right corner of the above screenshot.

You'll need to remove the new shape, and instead recolor the existing white shapes.