You CAN open AS files from the desktop icons

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rplate

You CAN open AS files from the desktop icons

Post by rplate »

Did you know you can open AS files by double clicking their icons. But, only if you have AS already open.

If AS is open (A MUST) and you double click the startup icon (as you can normally do in other applications) AS will open it directly. Sometimes when I am hunting for files it's easier to go right down a list of icons, double clicking each one, one after another, than it is to go to file open inside of AS and searching for a file.
If all your AS files are in a folder, just move the AS window aside from the open folder so you see the file that you double click and open. No need to close AS for the next file, it automatically closes and opens the next double click. Saves me time when I'm searching for something I forgot what I named it.

Maybe you don't have a problem like forgetting. :oops:
p6r

Post by p6r »

Do you mean on a Mac or under Linux ?

Because you can open the AS files by double-clicking on a PC even if AS isn't open...

Another way : If AS is open (under Windows) and you have opened the Explorer, only drag and drop an .anme or a .moho file on the taskbar on the AS task...

Note : This trick is OK for all other applications... But anyone knows that !?!

6R
rplate

Post by rplate »

p6r wrote:Do you mean on a Mac or under Linux ?
Yes! I am on a Mac and if you double click on an AS icon that you saved and want to open, it opens the AS startup file, not the one you are double clicking on. Also if you drag an AS file onto the AS startup icon it only opens the AS startup file. Only after AS is open can you double click and open other AS files.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

The Mac version is crippled in more than one ways, alas :(

- You cannot open by double-clicking a file in Finder
- You cannot open a file by dragging a file to the AS icon in the Dock

Both are essentially the same action, and both fail miserably on the Mac.

That, and image textures.
cribble

Post by cribble »

Rasheed wrote:The Mac version is crippled in more than one ways, alas :(

Both are essentially the same action, and both fail miserably on the Mac.

That, and image textures.
only one emoticon i can related to that....

:(
--Scott
cribble.net
rplate

Post by rplate »

Rasheed wrote:The Mac version is crippled in more than one ways, alas :(

You can if AS is already open.

Move the AS window to the side a bit and double click any AS file from the finder window. It will close the open file in AS and if you need to save first it prompts you to do so. Then the file you double clicked opens right up.

Try it.
mooncaine

Re: You CAN open AS files from the desktop icons

Post by mooncaine »

rplate wrote:Did you know you can open AS files by double clicking their icons. But, only if you have AS already open.
Not if you're using my Mac and Anime Studio Pro, apparently. I posted about this a few days ago. The only way that ASP will open my .anme file is to start ASP first, then navigate from ASP to the file [as in, use the File menu, or CMD-o, or the "open file" icon in ASP's toolbar].
Touched

Post by Touched »

In Windows, if you double-click on an .anme file when AS is already open...it opens ANOTHER copy of Anime Studio, with the file you executed. The already-open AS stays the same.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I thought in OSX you could associate file types to applications by clicking the "change all" button in the file info?

This is OS 10.3.9. I heard that Tiger has better file association?

-vern
mooncaine

Um, file associations in Tiger seem fine to me ...

Post by mooncaine »

... but Anime Studio Pro doesn't open them. I checked that info panel; it all looks fine [good idea, btw]. I also tried saving one with extension .moho, and it seemed to work .... When I click a .anme, ASP always opens with the same default anime boy that kinda looks like Xander from Drawn Together. But if I save it with a .moho extension, ASP opens it. I think Anime Studio Pro is on a never-ending quest to save his moho.