Keying all bones in a bone group

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bartender

Keying all bones in a bone group

Post by bartender »

When i animate, most of the time i like to key all the bones in the rig, move over a couple of frames, then reposition a couple of bones, rekey all the others as well so i dont have bones moving between. Does anyone know if there is a quick script for keying all the bones in a bone group, so you dont have to individually click on each of the bones at a particular frame?

thanks!
bartender
Genete

Post by Genete »

Put the bones that you want to move together inside a bone layer. This bone layer could be inside another bone layer. Also you can bind internal bone layer to a bone in his parent bone layer using bind layer tool. So all the layer (bones9 will move when that parent bone moves.

-Genete
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

If your rig is in one bone layer and you only use rotation and/or scaling, this is easy to do. Just select all bones and click on one of the selected bones with the Rotate Bone and/or Scale Bone tool. Unfortunately, this trick doesn't work for the Translate Bone tool, but I guess most people will only use that on a few bones, and therefore only involve a few clicks with the Translate Bone tool.

For the Bone Lock feature, because it is either on or off, you probably don't need to copy the keys of the Selected Bone Lock channel, although there are, in theory, situations in which you may want to copy a Bone Lock key in a certain frame.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Genete wrote:Also you can bind internal bone layer to a bone in his parent bone layer using bind layer tool. So all the layer (bones9 will move when that parent bone moves.
This is true. If you bind a root bone in a child bone layer to bone A in a parent bone layer, all bones of the child bone layer will behave like bone A, translation, rotation and scaling. Because this behavior is recorded in the keys of the parent bone layer, there is no need to record it also in keys in the child bone layer, unless you would some of the bones in the child bone layer to behave differently.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Or, you can right click on the bone time line and select "Add keyframe".

The bone icon in the time line for ALL bones (black), not the red one for the bone selected. This works for points to. I always key every point so I don't get the "drifting points".

-vern
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

heyvern wrote:Or, you can right click on the bone time line and select "Add keyframe".
i don't know, but could an script make a new keyframe just making double click at the timeline?.
one time i wrote it in feature request, but there was no answer.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I don't think you can script double clicks. LUA just can't do a double click. I tried I tried! ;) Plus I don't think LUA can detect a click in the time line. I could be wrong. this would probably need to be done by efrontier to the source code.

-vern
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

buh...
thanks heyvern.

but is this a good request?
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

There are a script called Key Skeleton by janimatic that does what you want to do.
I use it from time to time, it's a real timesaver, especially when blocking things out.
Here's the forum link to it;
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... y+skeleton
bartender

Post by bartender »

this script is excellent!! It actually adds tools to your tool palette, and all you have to do is grab the tool and click your rig, and it keys all the bones! Excellent thanks for the help!