AS -> Flash?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MattVG

AS -> Flash?

Post by MattVG »

I am needing to create and animate in AS and then export for use in Flash, however I do not own Flash. Is it possible for someone who owns Flash to open up a .swf file exported from AS and use it in a Flash file?

I am working with someone else to animate a character that they will place in flash with an interface and whatnot for web use.

*EDIT*
Hmmm... apparently .swf files are uneditable. Is there any way to get an animated character from AS into Flash aside from rendering the animation and embedding it?

- Matt VG
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Try the demo version of Koolmoves . It can import an swf as an editable.
MattVG

Post by MattVG »

Eh, won't help me. It doesn't have an OS X version. But since it can be done I looked around for a free program and found this:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28121

The problem is that I don't know if it converts them messily or cleanly because I don't have Flash to view them with.

*EDITE*
The program above requires an installed version of Flash apparently.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

You can import .swf files generated by AS into Flash with a few limitations outlined in the manual.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

Have you already tried the evaluation versionof Flash?

As far as viewing the swfs, all you need is a browser with the (free) player installed.
MattVG

Post by MattVG »

I must have missed the part of the manual speaking of importing .swf files. I read through it when I had the non-pro version of AS and skipped a few things because they didn't apply to me.

I can view the .swf files fine. I just don't own Flash. I will try the evalution version and see how my files import.

Thanks for all the help.

Matt
jhbmw007

Re: AS -> Flash?

Post by jhbmw007 »

MattVG wrote: Hmmm... apparently .swf files are uneditable. Is there any way to get an animated character from AS into Flash aside from rendering the animation and embedding it?
Yes- this is true- normally you can't import an swf into Flash and have it editable- but for some reason you can with Anime Studio's. I made a cut-out cartoon of my son in AS and then saved it as an SWF, imported it into Flash 8 and voila- it imported all the individual frames and put them on the timeline (you could also put them inside a movieclip).
Touched

Post by Touched »

The only reason you wouldn't be able to import a SWF into Flash is if the author of the SWF set the "protect from import" flag.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Be aware that there is often a difference between viewing an swf file exported from AS outside of Flash, and its appearance when imported into Flash. This is especially true if you are working on imported vector files in AS. If you are new to AS, you should also know that there are a number of AS features that won't import into Flash -- check the manual before wasting time like I did!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?