...time warp?!?!

A place to discuss non-Moho software for use in animation. Video editors, audio editors, 3D modelers, etc.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ramapo99

...time warp?!?!

Post by ramapo99 »

i'm usign premiere pro and i'm trying to make more sloowly an animation... the result is not so good: do you know time warp software? there are time warp plugin for premiere?
thanks
pg

...sorry for my english... :-(
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

The problem is simple. There's just no data between the frames to work with, so when you slow a clip down, it can only get choppy.

Typically, most of the really smooth slow motion stuff you see on TV is recorded using a camera that's been overcranked past the typical 24-30fps, sometimes recording as high as 1,000 fps.

There may be some kind of utility out there that can artificially increase the frame count through tweening, but I'm not entirely sure where you'd be able to find one. (Although, it could be something similar to one of those image morphing apps that can take a starting image and transforms it gradually until it matches a second ending image.)
8==8 Bones 8==8
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Strangely enough, this problem is related to morphing. Morphing between vector images is doable, but morphing between raster images often only works with human intervention (you saying what are the corresponding points in each image). So, in fact, you're giving the software the paths along which the pixels (or groups of pixels) should travel. Inbetweening is in fact a similar problem, where you give the arced path along which parts of the character are moving. This is much easier to calculate using vectors than using pixels.

And while it is easier to do, I never have seen any program doing it with any success. I'm afraid there is not yet a substitute for a human inbetweener. Perhaps when there is much more computing power available (say 100 times as much as today, which would be in roughly 10 years), these kinds of programs will be possible, because of built-in basic computer intelligence. You then could instruct a tool inside an animation program to solve the program of inbetweening for a particular animation scene.

Real artificial intelligence is supposed to hit the markets around 2020-2025. Around that time computers should be sophisticated enough to really communicate with humans and take much of the boring animation task out of the hands of humans, so they can concentrate on the more interesting artistic stuff, such as storytelling. And that would be a good thing, because the need for custom made entertainment will probably grow exponentially.

If you can't wait until then, you'll need to do your own inbetweening.
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

There is a plug-in for Premiere which does exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.revisionfx.com/rstwixtor.htm

A little EXPENSIVE unfortunately.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Open the video you want slowed down in VirtualDub and "Convert to fps" to a higher number, like 300. Export it. Now open it again in VirtualDub and "Change to" whatever fps you're looking for, like 30 and uncheck "Convert to fps" and put it back to "process all frames". I think that should do it.

You might have to play with these figures to get the speed you want. :wink:
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

J. Baker I think he wants to generate frames that "tween" the footage. The Twixtor Plugin I linked actually draws frames between frames via morphing for a really nice slo-mo.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

okie dokie :wink:
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

I was just checking on videohelp.com and found this. Just read all the topic way through. These guys seem to come with some nice results.
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t303037.html
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

If the piece you are slowing down isn't too long maybe you can do something similar to the plugin mentioned above by looking around for some sort of free morphing program - here's one- http://www.pcplus.co.uk/downloads/creat ... tmorph_3.0 and morphing from one frame to the next, so creating some tween images?