Bone layer scaling

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Y2Jussi

Bone layer scaling

Post by Y2Jussi »

Hi!

I made a quite complex character with many layers including bones. Then I realized that the character is not fat enough (for example). I wonder if there is an easy way to make the whole character wider. I can't use non-uniform layer scale because it messes up the bone manipulations with distortions. It would be a pretty awful job to translate points layer by layer and set up the bones properly again. Any solutions on this one?
Genete

Post by Genete »

Put everything in a Group layer and scale it as you desire. Can you post the example? Scaling works perfect to me in a character with 5 bone layers and each one 6 switch layers with 5 or 6 vector layers inside...
Y2Jussi

Post by Y2Jussi »

I have everything inside a bone layer which works as a group layer. I can scale whole group nicely. But the actual problem occurs when I try to use non-uniform scale (= scale only widht or height but not both) with bone layer. It first seems that everything is going well but when you try to manipulate the bones inside a scaled layer the shapes distort.

It actually doesn't matter how many layers there are inside bone layer. It happens with only one vector layer too so it's easy to test.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Mmmm.
The test what have made was done with vector layers binded to bones using "Bind Points" tool only. There were none point binded to any bone with "Region Binding" or "Flexible Binding" method. Perhaps that is the reason. Other resaon could be the use of "Offset Bone" tool. I have't used it neither.
Try to use only Bind Points tool and not use Offset Bone tool and see what happen.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'm afraid there's no easy solution to your problem.

A similar problem often occurs in designing typefaces, where you want to have different stroke widths for different cuts of the same typeface (regular, bold, light and so on). There's no shortcut to just tell the software "make every stroke thicker" because the software doesn't know where the center line of a stroke would be.

The same goes for AS. The virtual "center line" of each limb or body part is not part of the data, it just exists in your artistic mind. The bone for each limb may serve as a substitute, but only if it is placed more or less in the middle of the limb and has exactly the same orientation. In this case, and only in this case, a one-direction stretch 90° from the bone makes that limb fatter. In all other cases you'll end up with distortion.

Conclusion: you have to fatten up your character limb by limb.
Y2Jussi

Post by Y2Jussi »

slowtiger: Yeah.. I kind of understood why the distorts occur. My computer and I often think differently on matters. I just hoped that there would be a way to get past this problem. I guess I just have to start moving points and bones with my bare hands to make things wider.

Genete: I'm not so sure if we are talking about the same matter here but this thing happen even if one uses bind points and no offset bone tool. Maybe slowtiger put the description more clearly than I.

Thanks for suggestions and explanations.