Proxy models! Not for the feint of heart...

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Proxy models! Not for the feint of heart...

Post by heyvern »

Woohoo!

My character is so complex it is slowing down animation. I thought it would fly like a demon if it only had one "silhouette" type layer just as a proxy for animation.

But then how to get the bones from the proxy into the hi res version?

Text editor! I just copy the bone info from one file and paste it into the other one and everything works fine.

This isn't a simple solution but it sure helps to rough out the basic animation very quickly.

-vern
DK

Post by DK »

What sort of 3D character are you working on in AS? Is the bone setup very complicated? The reason I ask is I am a Lightwave user and there is no way i would even attempt 3D character animation using bones in AS?

D.K
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

No, not 3D. This is just a 2D character. I suppose calling it a "model" gave the wrong impression.

I have a lot of complex layers and it was slowing down the preview.

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

K.I.S.S., Vern. Perhaps you're overcomplicating matters. Think Saturday morning cartoons.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Ha!

I did simplify it! :)

My first version was ten times worse. I can only let that part of my brain go so far... before the "draw the atomic structure" side kicks in.

Keep in mind that I went from starting this originally in full photorealistic CGI with 3D hair particles to... what I have now. It is hard to let go completely.

;)

All joking aside, I think you make a good point Rasheed. I had been thinking of doing another pass on my Larry Liger and seriously reduce the detail... I've gotten use to how he looks though. It's tough.

My inspiration over the last few days has been old Warner Brothers and Hanna Barbara catoons. Simplistic designs with incredible personality.

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

heyvern wrote:My inspiration over the last few days has been old Warner Brothers and Hanna Barbara catoons. Simplistic designs with incredible personality.
The personality comes from the voice acting. If you turn off the sound, the personality is still there, because the animation is based on those voices, which inspired the animators. I guess if you act out your character with the voice in the background it is almost as funny as the finished cartoon.
DK

Post by DK »

I love those WB toons. I don't think i've seen anything as funny or clever. Amazingly I found an original cel from a Road Runner toon in a store and got the chance to see it up close. Talk about rough!!! The outline brush work was very messy but kinda added to the WB mystique of that whole era for me. I guess they just cranked that stuff out as fast as possible back then.

D.K