Better Anti-Aliasing

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

J. Baker

Better Anti-Aliasing

Post by J. Baker »

AnimeStudio anti-aliasing is pretty good but not good enough if you plan on viewing your work on tv. But all can be fixed in a video editor. And while some have added a slight blur effect to their animations, wether in AS or a video editor, this is not very good. Blur just kills the sharpness of the image.

In order to get pretty good results, try this. If your animation is 640x480, export it to 1440x1080 instead. Then open it in VirtualDub. Select the resize filter. Type in 720x480 (non sqaure pixel for tv) and be sure to set the "Filter Mode" to "Precise Bilinear". Now select "OK". Now in order to see the results, either press the play or next button.

Try it out. It's the best method that I know of. :wink:
Last edited by J. Baker on Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
artfx

Post by artfx »

At first I was confused as I was thinking, "Huh? I have no problems with anti aliasing." But then I see what you wrote about resolution. By default all my scens are setup in HD so I guess the issue never edged up on me. ;)
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
LEARN HOW TO Make YOur Own Animated Film!
Get Video Training to Show You How!
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Sure, HD resolution will give you smaller looking pixels. I see why you wouldn't have noticed. I haven't yet encoded to dvd using HD resolution. The above tip might not be necessary for a resolution that high. Like your avatar by-the-way. :wink: