Easier naming of multiple bone chains

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Easier naming of multiple bone chains

Post by heyvern »

WooHooo!

I create these complex bone chains and always loath the process of naming each one.

I like to use a "prefix", like for a pinky there might be 3 bones; rp1, rp2, rp3 etc.. or with a long chain for controlling something; cc1, cc2.... cc6 what ever. I do this so I can quickly see what each bone represents, rp1 is the first bone of the right pinky.

What I discovered is that you can select ALL THE BONES AT ONCE and name them with the prefix then go back and select each bone individually and just put a number at the end.

It's a small thing but I like it. I use to copy the prefix and then paste the name and type the number, I like this better.

-vern
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

Good tip heyvern.
I guess it wouldn't be too hard to write a script that adds both a prefix and then numbering them based on their position in the chain.
Last edited by rylleman on Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Great idea!

This might also be a way to "find out" how AS is numbering those bones.

I discovered recently using that really cool copy/paste bones script that when you paste the bones from one layer into another it completely changes the ordering. I like to keep my "constraining" bones in sequence.

I use a LOT of constraints and if you delete any bones that were created BEFORE the control bones were... the constraint gets lost on any bone referencing another bone that is "lower" or "newer" in the AS bone order (AS doesn't use the name it uses it's internal list).

I would do almost ANYTHING to be able to delete bones without worrying about losing constraints... sometimes I may have 20 to 30 bones with graduated constraint values... I don't delete bones anymore I just move them off to the side. ;)

-vern