Character designs all done in AS

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

CartoonM!ke

Character designs all done in AS

Post by CartoonM!ke »

Here's a render of an AS file that I've been working on and off for the past few days. It's the first drawing that I'm really happy with that I've done in AS.

I really got into using stlyes for the fills and strokes. I made so many that I had to lengthen the style palette in order to see all of the styles in the drop-down menu. One interesting thing is that each individual group layer can have its own shadow & shading option, just like a vector layer. Never realized that before. And when welding points, I found it easier to realize that when I'm drawing in AS, to look upon the points as being "in construction." This helps when connecting end points to curve points. That way I can maintain the curve I wanted and to interject a line. That was helpful in drawing clothes and such.

Anyway, this is just a proof-of-concept for character design using AS. Interested in any and all comments.

Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Looks great!
artfx

Post by artfx »

The gradient and shading method is nice! It gives the characters a great look.
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
LEARN HOW TO Make YOur Own Animated Film!
Get Video Training to Show You How!
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

Thanks for the feedback.

And about the shading, I kinda wanted something evocative of the "puffy" magnet,sticker thingies I recall from years ago. I thought that it would be a nice look and I'm glad it seems to work. Now to see how it animates...
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Hi Mike. Looks great. I guess you can add a slight plastic-like highlight to these if they are supposed to be the plastic magnets? Really nice.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

I really like how the shading is subtle. I think one mistake a lot of people make is to combine shaded fills with black outlines, and I think those tend to fight against each other.
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

Thanks for all the comments!

Mark-- I really wanted to do something not usual for the shading. Still getting a handle on drawing with AS tools.

Bupaje -- I don't think I'll add a plastic-ish highlight. Won't fit in the style I'm using for this series.

Here's the latest trio of characters. From L to R they are:
Bobbi VanHelsing (Vampire Hunter), Nanooth (From the mystic lands of Mu) and "M" of which not much is known.

I should have the next set of 3 (guys this time), done by this eve.

I'm pretty happy with these gals. Lemme know whatchu think!

m!ke

(edited to add names of characters)
Last edited by CartoonM!ke on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
bushi

Post by bushi »

Very nice indeed. I think you've got the "puffy magnet" look down very well. Thanks for sharing!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Look great!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

The flowing skirt and cape are going to look weird when/if you try to animate. Esp. the skirt. It already looks like it's whipping around the way you drew it, and unless you animate those flowing folds they will look frozen when the rest of the figure is moving.

That figure in the skirt is really imaginative, though.
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

Thanks for the comments.

Mark -- Yeah, the skirt on that character will be a challenge. Right now I'm focusing on just drawing with AS, then comes animating the characters. Probably at that point there's going to be massive re-drawing and I will keep in mind the points you brought up. Thanks.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

They're looking great! Yes it would be nice to see them move around, post if you will animate them.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I love the whole idea of these 'puffies' being animated and having there own world. Very cool.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

Outstanding drawing. I, too, can't wait to see you animate them.
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

Here's the latest set of three characters. From L to Right: Adam (Frankenstein creature-type), Tomar (Egyptian Mummy) and Gus (Gill Man).

Thanks everyone for their comments and crits. Now I'm off for a walk and later on, work on a script for the first bit of animation.