Interpolation ON/OFF in Swtich Layers

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

Interpolation ON/OFF in Swtich Layers

Post by Genete »

As far as I know, check box for interpolation in switch tab for Switch layers, affects to ALL the animation.
If I want to make interpolation swtichs during some frames in timeline and non interpolation switchs during other frames in timeline, I have to set interpolation check box to "yes" (for all the timeline) and for those non interpolated switches frames, set the keyframe value to "step".

Is that right or am I missing something?

Thanks
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I am still using Moho 5.3 so unless this changed with AS no, key frame interpolation has no effect on switch layers.

If a switch is set to interpolate it ALWAYS interpolates.

What I do to get around this is to place keys on a switch right next to each other... forcing a sort of step interpolation.

-vern
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Hey Vern, you beat me to this one.

No Genete, the interpolation will still occur if you use step interpolation. You cannot go immediately from one switched layer to another without interpolation in that case. IOW switch interpolation is not animateable.

The workaround is to duplicate the switch layer and turn off the interpolation in that layer. You can then either use layer visibility to show the appropriate switch layer, or put both switch layers inside a new switch layer, to be able to switch between the interpolated and non-interpolated switch layers.
Genete

Post by Genete »

What I do to get around this is to place keys on a switch right next to each other... forcing a sort of step interpolation.
Yeeaah!! I found it. :!: :!: :!: :!:
Thankyou very much to both! :D :D :D
How did I not realize before??? :oops:
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Genete wrote:How did I not realize before??? :oops:
Because with AS you have such a vaste number of possibilities. It's easy to forget or overlook some of the tricks you can do with it.

Anyway, here is an animation I created to check my claims. It uses switch layers within switch layers to make the square go into a ball without interpolation when the ball goes into the air (at the right of the animation). I also animated the shading within the shape from the light coming from 335 degrees to it coming from 225 degrees, and matched the background with two layers with fill gradients of 335 and 225 degrees, animating the layer transparency of the top layer (225 degrees fill gradient), so it seems the light changes from right to left.