Human Figure - Rotate 360

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jwlane

Human Figure - Rotate 360

Post by jwlane »

How can a character (4 limbs with bones) rotate 360 degrees on the Y (vertical) axis? 180 degrees is easy enough by animating points to reveal lower layers. Beyond a certain angle, however, how would a gradual transition take place that didn't 'pop' a shoulder or hip into a different layer order?

Before I start experimenting, I assume this has been approached before; my own attempts being crude in comparison.
artfx

Post by artfx »

You would have to use a combo of animating points and switch layers. Another option would be to have two versions of thew entire character rig and using visibility, pick a frame and pose on which to match them and do a swap at that frame.

For example, you have two versions of the charcter that look the same when facing screen right. One, however, has layers that when revealed can show the back of the character and is capable of going from facing right to facing left, showing the back. The other has layers which reveal the front of the character and is capable of going from facing right to facing left showig the front of the character. You can then swap them at any time when facing right or facing left.
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
LEARN HOW TO Make YOur Own Animated Film!
Get Video Training to Show You How!
jwlane

Front and Back Versions of body

Post by jwlane »

Artfx: would you recommend Vern's 'Master' and 'Control Bone' scripts, for controling the second body? I've downloaded those, but haven't taken the time to play - a little under the gun, of course. Or, is there a more pedestrian way of doing this?

Thank you.

JWL
artfx

Post by artfx »

I've never tried these scripts, but if you're under the gun it might be safer to just create similar rigs and match them by eye for the transition frame. It is one frame after all.
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
gilbertconcepcion

art fx

Post by gilbertconcepcion »

I do not know that you are also using moho artfx. I am an avid fan of your site, always watching anigen and all your animation tips.
anime studio for games....
artfx

Post by artfx »

Thanks. Yes I am also using Moho recently. I wish I knew about it sooner. I can do so much with it. I was recently looking at Avatar: The Last Airbender which is tradtionally animated in Korea, but I could see so much potential for how this type of work could be done in Moho with a lot of time savings. I will have a lot to show on it soon.
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
CartoonM!ke

Post by CartoonM!ke »

Now that will be an ep of Anigen that I will be looking forward to! Not that the others haven't been good :D

I'm just getting back into AS, and this topic is very interesting. Is there a wip or something about the results of the turn-around?
jwlane

W I P

Post by jwlane »

After I rap on my current project, I plan to do pre-production that will explore rotating the figure. That may be another month. My concern with this topic is that interpolated animation coupled with frame by frame edits would require time consuming tweeks to smooth out the transitions - fixing jumpy, glitchy movement.

This week there is a big holiday in the US. After that's over (I'm doing some of the cooking - YIKES!), I'll post the shot I was working on that spawned this issue. You'll see what I originally sketched vs the redirected movement.