G4 vs G5 crash problem

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DVTVFilm

G4 vs G5 crash problem

Post by DVTVFilm »

confounding glitch... I have a test animation that renders perfectly on my G4.

On my G5-- the file crashes the program (ASP5).

Same OS-- Same QT. 10.4.8 --- 7.1.3

Move the same file back to the G4-- and there's no problem...

Here's the file, if any one can figure out why...

http://www.dvtvfilm.com/FTP/travelTest1.anme.sit
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

Generally speaking, this should not happen. It could be that your G5 has had an update that partially corrupted your OS (these things happen). You could try a combo update of 10.4.8 to rule out a corrupted OS X. Of course, as always, back up your data before installing the combo update.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ ... teppc.html

A less rigorous method, which you should try first, is to clean out your caches, e.g. with Tiger cache cleaner or similar, see:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16494

Sometimes cleaning your caches can miraculously restore broken functionality.
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

Tiger Cache Cleaner didn't work (at least for this problem...)

I usually use OnyX to run maintenance and clean cache's and DiscWarrior for directory repair --but Tiger Cache Cleaner seems like a nice option as well.

Don't want to reinstall my System OS-- since this is the only program (ASP5) that seems to be now effected with this problem... This particular file was created on the G4... I'll make another and move it across to a G5 and see if the problem occurs again.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the code execution in a G4 is different from that in a G5. The Mac version of AS has some bugs, and this could just be another one.

I don't have a G5, but perhaps someone else with a Mac G5 and Moho 5.4 could try if this file fails both in AS 5.5 Pro and in Moho 5.4 (or Moho 5.3 for OS X 10.3.9).

The file rendered without any problems on my eMac G4.
Marieke

Post by Marieke »

I'm having a similar problem on my G5 here:

I'm making a series of short animations, and rendered lots of test versions earlier this month without problems. But since yesterday, AS crashes every time I try to export a movie. Sometimes after two minutes, sometimes after 15 minutes...

So at first everything went well, but now (with the deadline in sight), exporting fails... why?!?!?!

Have downloaded Tiger Cache cleaner now, so hope that helps!
EricG

Post by EricG »

Rasheed wrote:I wouldn't be surprised at all if the code execution in a G4 is different from that in a G5. The Mac version of AS has some bugs, and this could just be another one.

I don't have a G5, but perhaps someone else with a Mac G5 and Moho 5.4 could try if this file fails both in AS 5.5 Pro and in Moho 5.4 (or Moho 5.3 for OS X 10.3.9).

The file rendered without any problems on my eMac G4.

On my G5 with 10.4.7 and QT 7.1.3. it crashed with AS 5.5. Pro and rendered fine with Moho 5.4.
Marieke

Post by Marieke »

At my G5 some files render OK, others keep crashing.
Rendering with 'batch export' seems to 'solve' the problem. Files crashing with 'export animation' render OK with batch export....
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

Now that you've suggested Batch Render -- I tried the file and it does render properly (and at break-neck speed).

Go back to the regular EXPORT method-- and it still crashes.

Something to be looked into for sure....