reset the origin to the center

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

buijon

reset the origin to the center

Post by buijon »

What numbers do i have to type in to make the origin recenter on the visible area? I Moved layers around instead of moving the points on the layers, so i need to reset them all to the same origin.

does the origin effect the layers relation to move with the bones?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Of course: the layer origin will be the point around which the layer rotates etc.
buijon

Post by buijon »

so how do i reset it to the exact center of the 'stage' like when you first start a file?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Hi buijon,
Have you tried this:
Activate the "Translate Layer" tool and then at the tooloptions enter 0 for X position and 0 for Y position.
Not sure if that is what you need??

Jimmy
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

If you want to recenter your workspace, press the ESC key.
buijon

Post by buijon »

Jimmy wrote:Hi buijon,
Have you tried this:
Activate the "Translate Layer" tool and then at the tooloptions enter 0 for X position and 0 for Y position.
Not sure if that is what you need??

Jimmy
thats kind of what i need, but that just resets the layer position. I was to reset the origin of the layer to the middle while the vector on the layer stays where it is
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

But press "Reset" button or do the same that Jimmy said avobe but using the "Set Origin" tool (that with this icon +) instead the"Translate Layer" tool.
buijon

Post by buijon »

Ramón López wrote:But press "Reset" button or do the same that Jimmy said avobe but using the "Set Origin" tool (that with this icon +) instead the"Translate Layer" tool.
When you use the 'set origin' tool anywhere you click becomes 0,0. I need to know how to put it at the very center of the viewable area using that tool. The exact center like when you make a new file, because i need to do it to several layers.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

buijon wrote:When you use the 'set origin' tool anywhere you click becomes 0,0.
But... TRY AGAIN! Cause "Set Origin" tool have never worked as you describe above...
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Maybe some clarification from one of the comments above - the Layer Origin doesn't really affect how a layer, if attached to a bone, moves. It's really only relevant to 2 things. First, layer rotation. Second, layer ordering in 3D space (if you are using "sort by distance" in the projects settings) is determined by the layers origin, and not by anything that's in the layer. Bones don't really care what the layers origin is, if the layer is attached to it, that layer is going to rotate around the the "root" point of the bone regardless. If it didn't, we'd all go completely bonkers fiddling with origins every time we moved something.

If you need to rotate several layers around a common point and you've already translated them around around, drop them in a group layer and just set the origin for the group.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

7feet wrote:It's really only relevant to 2 things. First, layer rotation. Second, layer ordering in 3D space
And well... third, for how a layer is moved/affected by a bone, when you are using "Flexi-Bind Layers", of course...
7feet

Post by 7feet »

I stand corrected. I can't remember the last time I used the flexi-binding, so I completely forgot about that.