Fix for exporting swfs from Moho: My curves became angles

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

luftbuefel

Fix for exporting swfs from Moho: My curves became angles

Post by luftbuefel »

Sometimes when you export a swf from Moho you will notice that your tasty circles are turned into angular polygons. This is especially noticable in a character's eyes. This is a result of the size of your exported swf. When objects in the swf are smaller Moho has the tendency to simplify the shapes. To fix this make your export size larger. I usually have good results at the rendering size of 1280*960. If you still have problems then render it larger. To change render size simply go to file--project settings and change the width and height. Once I import that swf into Flash I resize it to what ever size I need. I have written a flash extension command that will resize ever frame for you. If anyone wants it let me know and I will do one last check to make sure it's robust enough and I'll post it for free download.
donnie

Post by donnie »

Hi luftbuefel,

I would love that file extension command if its still possible!
Is there no other way of re-sizing a load of key frames in Flash? (RE-size layer for example)

please pardon my ignorance as I no nothing of Flash but have been forced to use it to composite my swfs exported from AS.

thanks loads!

D
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Great tip...

However... I think... it also depends on the size relationship OVER ALL.

For instance I did a poster in AS recently that needed to be a very high resolutiion if I was going to use it in Photoshop as I intended.

I own Flash and thought I might try to save it into SWF as an experiment and then export to AI to save on the size of the poster for emailing...

... but even at a huge "size" I still ran into that... straight line issue. I never got it resolved so I went with the PSD export from AS which worked fine... even if it was huge.

Keep in mind my illustration had 7 characters spread out horizontally... to get all the "shapes" large enough (like eyes) would have required a GIGANTIC size I think. It was already set up as 2400 px X 1500 px

Now that I know this trick (thank you thank you) I will try it the next time... with a really really really big SWF export.

Or I may export out "pieces" and scale them down in Flash.

p.s. The SWF to AI transition was nearly perfect except for the curve issues.

-vern
donnie

Post by donnie »

It is a great tip but I am running into trouble as I have a minute long animation that was exported as 'chunks' with big dimensons (well,1024x576) from AS to maintain curves etc.

Now I have the problem of re-scaling every frame to the exact right size in Flash!
Am I being stupid,or is there a really easy way to export a swf from Flash in smaller dimensions? (426x220 for example)
If I change the document size the 'stage' gets smaller but all my layers containing all the key frames from AS stay the same size (1024x576)

Any Help appreciated!

D
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Make a symbol of your animation.

Place the symbol on the time line and you can scale it to any size in "one go".

I do this all the time with Flash so I don't have to scale or move elements in a completed animation.

-vern
donnie

Post by donnie »

Cheers Vern,

Having stumbled across this brilliant forum your name is one of many that have helped me with your numerous tips so thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I think the amazing online community is one of the big reasons I love AS/Moho so much. I also believe that it is only with good user input/requests that the developers can make it even better for everybody.
Heres to a promising future for AS under e-frontier then!....

..OH! luftbuefel, if your still there is there any chance of trying out that file extension command for resizing multiple keyframes in Flash?

Thanks loads,

D