Zoom & Unzoom discovery

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rplate

Zoom & Unzoom discovery

Post by rplate »

Just found out that the >clear< key on the extended Mac keyboard zooms in to center your work on the working layer. The >home< takes you back out to full working layer. So if you need to go in and out of a close view... draw on a separate layer with vector dots spaced apart on your layer to set how deep you want to zoom in and out with the >clear< and >home< keys.
This then allows you to keep the PAN screen hand in AS active as you zoom in.
When your done... copy and paste from that layer back onto the layer you are using as a final one.
You may want to set the switch on your Wacom pen to keystroke >clear< and >home<
Works great!!

Again, however wide your drawing is... sets the parameters for how deep it zooms.
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

thanks for that tip....
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

You suggested that you can restore the original zoom with either of these keys:

However, both keys do a Reset view, neither of them do a Restore view, or am I missing here something?

(Mac OS X 10.3.9)
rplate

Post by rplate »

Rasheed,

Do this: On a new blank workspace draw a small circle and hit clear.
Notice how deeply zoomed your workspace is. Hit the home button and your back in your FULL workspace. Now draw a bigger circle over your smaller circle and hit the clear key. Notice the zoom level is only as deep as your bigger circle. As you hit the home key you again go back to the full working screen. Also as you move vector dots out toward the edges of your work space the zoom level is not as deep. You zoom with the clear key centers on the width of your total vector drawings. I personally like the zoom for detailing vector points and then backing out to a clear view of the total image. That's why I suggested working on smaller parts of the drawing on a separate layer then copy and pasting to the final over all layer.
I know you can use the mouse scroll button as well but my Wacom tablet doesn't have a scroll button.
I'm new at this and have really learned soo much from you guys on this forum. So thanks for all you do.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

@rplate: Oh, now I get it. Thanks!
rplate

Post by rplate »

Sorry this is the first time trying this. see below for what I really wanted to do.
Last edited by rplate on Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rplate

Post by rplate »

Notice that in the close layer I have a small square around the image I want to zoom in on.

As I hit the clear key I get my zoom centered on what I am going to trace with vector points.
Now I go to my draw layer and my zoom stays with me.

If I want to toggle to a medium view, I pick the layer with the medium size square and hit >clear< and get these results.

This allows my work to be centered and zoomed by just a click on the layers with my Wacom Tablet pen.
And... you can always change the depth of your zoom by the size of your outline vector blocks. Remember there is nothing on the zoom layers except a vector square. I trace from an image layer. I don't like the trace mode as such.

I hope this give you a more comprehensive understanding of what I'm thinking.
DK

Post by DK »

Any equivalent to "Clear" for pc?
myles

Post by myles »

DK wrote:Any equivalent to "Clear" for pc?
Esc or Escape - it might also work for Mac keyboards that have an Escape key.

This and some other useful shortcuts can be found in the appendix of the manual - e.g. Shift-Escape zooms in to selected points.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
DK

Post by DK »

This is a handy one. Thank you Myles.

D.K
rplate

Post by rplate »

myles wrote:
DK wrote:Any equivalent to "Clear" for pc?
Esc or Escape - it might also work for Mac keyboards that have an Escape key.

This and some other useful shortcuts can be found in the appendix of the manual - e.g. Shift-Escape zooms in to selected points.

Regards, Myles.
Yes >Esc< does work like the clear key on my Mac.
And it's nice to know that I can zoom to the active vector points so easily. However as I mentioned in my example, I trace from an image layer and there are no vector points. So I have a layer with vector points that center me on the area that I want to trace from the image layer.
Thanks Myles for pointing me to the Appendix. I missed reading that. As I said I just got AS a couple of weeks ago and without this forum I would definately be further behind on the learning curve.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

That... "zoom layer" trick is brilliant.

You can set up several of those as needed... cool... it's like being able to save a window setting... a feature I've always wanted.

I can set up a "zoom" layer with a box just around the head and leave it there. Now I can quickly zoom in on the head quckly even on frames that are "shifted" due to camera motion or layer panning (I bind the zoom layer to the head bone).

Man! I can have those for the hands as well... always a pain zooming in and finding the hands.

Very cool!

-vern