Is anyone else having these memory handling problems?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

patrick

Is anyone else having these memory handling problems?

Post by patrick »

Okay, now I know I may be overloading AS a bit, but it renders several frames fine (I am exporting as bmp):

But after a few it does this:

I have an ok pc and would expect AS to just work slower or warn me, rather than just outputting rubbish....

Am I the only person to suffer with this? I am currently exporting a few frames at a time to get round it.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I don't have this problem anymore since I start using 1 gig of RAM in my Mac computer. I don't work a lot with large image files, because then I would need 2 gigs (1 GB is the max for my G4 system) and probably a new Intel iMac.

How much RAM do you have in your system and have you tried to stop other programs running while you're rendering your AS files? AS is rather resource hungry, especially with big image layers.
patrick

Post by patrick »

One gig of ram here too, and a pentium 4 3.20.

I think the annoyance is that it'll render a few frames before doing that, so it is obviously a memory handling problem on the part of the software.

I have to admit I am using a lot of big(ish) png's, but nothing crazy.

This scene is particularly heavy cuz the water is animated and so needs a different background file every frame, it should be able to handle it.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

It's definitely an memory issue, I had it in the past rendering large scenes. The solution is the one you've used already, to render out frames in chunks.
The problem seems to be that Moho doesn't purge the memory when rendering so every new image is loaded into memory but never unloaded, even if it's not used in the next frame so that the memory gets filled up.
I imagine that the render does go a bit faster than it would have if Moho had to read the image files at every frame.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Can't you animate the moving sea separately, then use a still image of the pier, then animate the images as a separate file also, and then composite them all together elsewhere?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
patrick

Post by patrick »

jahnocli wrote:Can't you animate the moving sea separately, then use a still image of the pier, then animate the images as a separate file also, and then composite them all together elsewhere?
Yeah, I could have done, and have certainly learnt my lesson. This was my first scene with Anime, and I expected it to handle it ok.

That bit of the pier scene is now done, but I am taking a more layered approach the other segments.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

It looks like the sea is a particle effect, and these can be a bitch sometimes when it comes to hogging memory...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I guess that would mean rendering the sea as a short switched image sequence and import that in a new AS project file.