head turning etc

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rpc9943

head turning etc

Post by rpc9943 »

just had a discussion with someone about animation software and more or less it was stated by my friend that anime studio looks limited that the rigging is limited to 2d only- yet i do recall seeing 3d head turning. Dont get me wrong I dont want to do 3d animation- but how is 3d head turning created? not just head turning either, im just worrying that if i get AS that i will run into major issues with this
JCook

Post by JCook »

just had a discussion with someone about animation software and more or less it was stated by my friend that anime studio looks limited that the rigging is limited to 2d only
Well, that's because it's a 2d program. Head turning can be done in several ways. One is to draw your face in front view, then rotate the layer, or group of layers by using the Y-axis layer rotation tool. This method can work up to a point, but you can't rotate too much or it'll be distorted.

The better way, I think, is somewhat similar to traditional 2d animation, in that you draw several views of the head, from different rotation angles, and put them in a Switch layer group. Then keyframe these switch layers so that the head turns.

You CAN use 3d objects in Anime Studio, but I've never found this to be easy or very useful, so I don't use it. I think it's kind of limited. Maybe some others have better ideas about this.

There have been some useful threads about this subject in the past. You should be able to find them by searching the forums.

Jack
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

There are also a lot of interesting posts around here on head turning if you do a search -0someone else may be able to point out the choice ones as I am running out the door now. From what I've seen most turns are fast enough that you don't have to over complicate it anyway.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

I think a lot of it has to do with the type of animation you want to create. If you're going for heavily exaggerated action common in cartoons from the 1950s or earlier, the layer rotation head animation might fit in just fine... but in moderation. The problem with this, is that it often creates "fisheye" lens distortion.

The switch layer method, despite the extra work involved, does allow for better control. The only real problem, is that it doesn't generally look as smooth as auto-tweened rotation when animating a scene. However, you have to keep in mind that the viewer is only going to see each frame for a fraction of a second, so most imperfections you are noticing may not necessarily been seen once the animation is played back at full speed.
8==8 Bones 8==8
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I also would like to add that in 2D you can do things that are (almost) impossible or very hard to reproduce in 3D, and still give it the illusion of being real (with a twist, of course). Although I'm not really an animator, I could produce this sweet head turn in 40 minutes or so, just by trying to copy a technique used in the pre 1950's.

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Although you're not really an animator, your head turn is much much better than lots of the stuff I had to see lately ...
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

That's a really good head turn