user manual in PDF version requested

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

foxyhu

user manual in PDF version requested

Post by foxyhu »

i just installed Moho 5 trail.

cool!

as usual, a well-written user manual, like moho user manual, is my favorite due to its easy-to-learning software.

but i think a PDF version of user manual is a better assitant for MOHOer rather than the only web version.

because it is handy to print the pdf version to read and learn moho step by step.

could lostmarble provide a link to download the pdf user manual? or add one into the newest setup package?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Sorry, but we have no plans to produce a PDF version of the manual.
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

I too wish you could use some compiled format. :)

Every time I double-click your Help, Dreamweaver launches. I don't want to change my HTML default, so I am stuck with remembering to right-click.
Postality

Post by Postality »

If it's okay with LM I could possibly produce a PDF version of the manual. keep in-mind though that you will still have to manually open it since the program points towards the html version.

if LM gives an answer reguarding this (and I know he will) then I will give it a go if I get the okay.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

If you want to do that Postality, go ahead.

In another thread though, someone said that using an HTML to PDF converter would be unsatisfactory, and said that they wanted a properly formatted, etc. PDF file. That's what we really don't want to commit to - creating a manual in two different formats, and maintaining/updating both.
Postality

Post by Postality »

well personally I like the html format one.

as far as the whole pdf conversion goes, there are converters out there that can do a damn good job of creating a proper PDF out of html files.

personally I can't stand PDF format, reason being it's just another "program" you're forced to install to read a manual. I disagree with having to install more and more crap on your computer to be able to do something as simple as read a manual.

Anyway, reguarding the pdf format, for the people that do want it your feedback would help. I don't want to waste my time doing it if it's not good enough.

Thanx LM.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
WillBellJr

Post by WillBellJr »

I used to feel absolutely the same way about PDF years ago (when it was sorta new) but now, it's a decent product.

As far a reading a manual??? I've NEVER read an acrobat manual - you load the file and either read or conveniently print - need to search - click the search icon.

I feel I comprehend better when I can read offline - I'll also admit I enjoy reading in the uh, throne room - my family teases me on how long I stay in there when I have a good manual or book. :lol:

It's also hard to work on a single screen with a help window open - constantly dragging windows to "see stuff", flipping back and forth between two windows takes away from concentrating compared to having it open on your desk or in a bookstand - IMO...

It would be nice if LM did have a pdf manual.

I haven't pressed this issue because the docs are more of a >tutorial< than a reference manual.

If the program was way more complex with chapters explaining every tool and their nuances then I could see a pressing need for a manual.

Again, I'd love to see a seperate PDF in addition to the HTMLs.

I prefer PDF documentation now simply because of the simplicity of printing - I wouldn't accept an "expensive" program with online documentation if it wasn't in the PDF format - too much trouble to print.

-Will

PS - Instead of a PDF, I'd be satisfied if LM produced a "techniques" manual - I'm not sure if the peeps at LM are professional cartoonist - by this I mean, if they also work in the cartooning field and therefore could offer cartooning instruction etc...

Basically I see Moho as a great book opportunity - "Teach Yourself Cartooning with Moho..."

The book would go into cartooning history, cartoon design (not too heavy on theory cause there are of course other great books available on cartooning) but enough theory and practice >based around using Moho<

Chapters like "South Moho" - using Moho to create South Park like cartoons etc...

This is no different than what happened with BlitzBASIC for game programmers.

It's a wonderful inexpensive program for writing video games - the program is very popular just like Moho and a BlitzBasic Game Progamming book was written for it.

It'd be nice to see the same for Moho - just imagine the kids in a book store looking at the book with the wonderful Moho images on the cover - "Mom, BUY ME THIS BOOK!"
Mark

Printable manual

Post by Mark »

I'd love to see a printable manual.