Sub switch layer interpolation

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

theos

Sub switch layer interpolation

Post by theos »

Hi,
being very new at Moho, I tried to have a speaking face interpolating from face to profile position but couldn't make it work. I looked in the forum questions but couldn't find a thread with that issue.
It seems the interpolation is working with just vector layer inside the switch but not when there are other switch layers inside the main switch.
Is there another way to achieve this, with script maybe?
Many thanks for answering! :)

In details:
In the first switch is the profile head with some mouth and eyes morphs.
In the second switch I have my facing head with other mouth and eyes morphs.
I try to have interpolation between these two heads with another main switch layer that includes the two above mentioned switches. Hope this is clearer. Cheers :D
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

This has come up before. We all would love to have this... but... it can't be done at present.

I actually thought about what might be involved to do this with a lip synch switch layer for one character...

Lets say you have several layers for your head turn... multiply that times the number of switches needed for lip synch... you would need at a minimum 2 layers for each switch... so 20 layers... probably more if you plan to turn the head the other way... so... 40... then if you had more than 2 layers for a head turn... 60 layers...

... even if the feature was available... I don't know if I would have the energy to pull it off... I just make sure my characters don't turn their heads while speaking... and if they HAVE TO... I do that as a "one off".

I would still love this feature...

... but an even more needed feature would be the use of bones to create "switch" poses from a single layer. This would be great for hands.

-vern
theos

Post by theos »

Thanks a lot Vern,

That feature would be nice indeed, by decomposing eye , mouth and head in separate switches, some nice animation could be achieved. MAybe in the next versions... 8) In the meantime I'll try to figure out how the rest works, so much can be done still with what already exists.

The bone to create switch poses would be great too!

Another point where I got stuck was to control a switch with bones from a bone layer on top of that switch. The parenting works but not the deformation.
What I tried to do was to deform a single shape character with morph targets for eyes and mouth, head makes one with the body...
I guess I could split the head from the body but there would be some inevitable shifting at the junction at some point in the animation.

Any idea how to make this work?

I guess this has been discussed too somewhere else but this forum quite huge to go through... :(

Cheers for the help!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Well...

The problem with bones on a switch... well.. you have already discovered the main problem... if the switch layers go outside the influence of the bones it doesn't work so well.

I have used it with a body switch experiment... I have each body part in it's own swtich layer with bones... for example as a leg "turns" it doesn't have to move very much... same with the body... it changes shape but the bones still work.

I use a script to control all of these bone switches from one master bone layer.

-vern
theos

Post by theos »

Thanks Vern, 8)

I spent the evening on it and found the way with the script Bone master, it works quite well, and the body deforms like expected. Glad to know it's the same way you make it work.
With the eyes and mouth shifted in the Z space, the head is now turning 140° from left to right, it kind of solves my earlier question of the first post too.
The character is much easier to manipulate this way and is very fluid.

Thanks for your help and you time, I much appreciate! :D