How do i xiao xiao?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

myles wrote:Peppino,

Make sure you've done all the basic tutorials that come with Moho to get a good grasp on this.

Regards, Myles.
One must always start at the beginning, and the beginning starts with tutorials that came with the program.
You'll know when you get there! My Dad
Peppino

Post by Peppino »

Here is a preview.
What do you think about him?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Please...it's three rectangles and a circle. And you want critical confirmation? Just make the damn thing move about!!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Theyre fun to play with, I tell ya... Here's a couple I did first oldm and then in the last 15 minutes. Not exactly that style, but I dont want to bite anyone elses.

http://www.sharemation.com/MoreMohoC/ex ... tick2.moho
http://www.sharemation.com/MoreMohoC/ex ... stick.moho

Simple vectors, mostly, pointy points, really wide outlines, and some bones and its all good.
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I too was able to create one, and uploaded an example yesterday, but had a certain level of frsutration boning it. The shape itself wasn't difficult at all, but getting smooth joints was where I had difficulty. Is it a simple matter of addint more points where you expect the joints to be?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Why draw shapes?

Just use stroked lines with peake corners at the joints.

The smooth joints are easy using a round brush on the stroke.

Rectangles... circles... oh my.

Good grief.

;)

-vern
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Yeah, just like that, heyvern.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Okay.... dammit... here's mine... dammit...

http://www.lowrestv.com/moho_stuff/stick_it-walk3.mov

(hum any song from Saturday Night Fever or the BeeGees while this plays).

Peppino... I guess... well... I apollogize for coming on so strong... you've got us all digging Xio Xio... even if it does sound like something on a take out menu...

;)

-vern
myles

Post by myles »

Just talking to myself:

Using a round brush on lines makes it absurdly easy, but the drawback is that I see minor deterioration of the figure edges when using the brush - it looks likes it is rendering aliased.

Possibly a brush rendering bug? Although this is more likely due to my inexperience in creating brushes.

I see smoother edges using rectangle and circle shapes, although the setup is more difficult, while using a plain thick outline gives sharp shapes at the joints as already mentioned.

Curiously, rendering to SWF doesn't show the brush edges problem - possibly due to the anti-aliasing built in to the Flash renderer?
Would using lines with a round brush possibly result in relatively large SWF files?

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Well...

I have a couple of ideas to fix the brush issue.

One would be to put another shape on top of the brush shape... set the line width "1" higher... for mine the width with the brush was 20... I made another shape on top of that with a width of 21... and no brush. This kind of "smooths" out that pixelation.

Another idea would be to add extra points at the joints and tips of the lines. Make extra shapes just for those smaller areas with a brush style set to the same width.

The "pixelation" isn't as noticeable... and that's really the only place you need it.

As for Flash export... I don't think brushes are exported. If you get nice "round" strokes in Flash... that is a Flash thing... Flash has nice round ends and round corners for the strokes... I am just guessing though from limited experience.

-vern
myles

Post by myles »

heyvern wrote:Another idea would be to add extra points at the joints and tips of the lines. Make extra shapes just for those smaller areas with a brush style set to the same width.
Ahh, interesting suggestion - thanks!
heyvern wrote:As for Flash export... I don't think brushes are exported. If you get nice "round" strokes in Flash... that is a Flash thing... Flash has nice round ends and round corners for the strokes... I am just guessing though from limited experience.
Correct guess! I don't usually use SWF export, so that's useful new information. It also means you can use simple lines with thickness, no brush - even though it will look rougher in bitmap-based export, it will look smooth in Flash.

Thanks again Vern!

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx