Lookout Flash!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

slice11217

Post by slice11217 »

Sequent wrote:Welcome everybody to the "pending" club! :D
We should have a 'pending usergroup' usergroup!

I'm pending too, for about a week now.
Sequent

Post by Sequent »

I'm pending in the pending group. :D :D :D
slice11217 wrote:
Sequent wrote:Welcome everybody to the "pending" club! :D
We should have a 'pending usergroup' usergroup!

I'm pending too, for about a week now.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Or as one of my favorite lines from Futurama goes that I like to use on my daughter: "You're pending for a bending!"
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

that sounds SO wrong to say to your daughter, as i say that to my girlfriend lol
toulouse2k

Post by toulouse2k »

I get the uncomfortable feeling that "nobody is home" these days.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

spasmodic_cheese wrote:that sounds SO wrong to say to your daughter, as i say that to my girlfriend lol
Now, I will never be able to say it to my daughter again!!!
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

jorgy wrote:Now, I will never be able to say it to my daughter again!!!
Hahaha sorry, may I suggest you say it to your wife or partner? :P maybe its a blessing in disguise ;)
Sequent

Post by Sequent »

I'm sure Mike and the e-Frontier chaps are probably busy getting things going for Anime Studio. But what about the moderators? I thought there were four of them here? Maybe they don't have power to "unpend".

I'm thinking they also might not have power to erase the persistent spam threads that crop up. :(
toulouse2k wrote:I get the uncomfortable feeling that "nobody is home" these days.
myles

Post by myles »

Sequent wrote:I'm sure Mike and the e-Frontier chaps are probably busy getting things going for Anime Studio. But what about the moderators? I thought there were four of them here? Maybe they don't have power to "unpend".
No, sorry, the moderators have the power to delete individual spam posts and that's about all.

For those who missed the email, CowsCanFly posted a copy here. That's probably the only email I've seen on the email list except for the new version annoncements also posted in this section of the forum.
Sequent wrote:I'm thinking they also might not have power to erase the persistent spam threads that crop up. :(
You should generally see most real spam posts (pharmaceutical advertisements, dating sites, and worse) disappear within a day or two - send one of us a PM if it gets missed. However, there will doubtless be periods when none of the moderators is online for a few days or longer, or we might not scan all the forum sections when we are online due to time constraints.

I suspect we're unlikely to step in (as moderators) when the discussion is off-topic or disagreement between Moho users. We're mainly here to delete junk mail, not censor dissent. :)
toulouse2k wrote:I get the uncomfortable feeling that "nobody is home" these days.
I suspect it's more a case of priorities - the forum is mainly for "users helping users" (except perhaps for the Feature Requests and Bug Reports sections). There is an email address for direct Lost Marble support, but like Sequent I suspect they're all fairly busy at the moment - Lost Marble posted less than 2 weeks ago that he was swamped (non-English speakers: swamped means very busy and very over-worked).

In any case, you're likely to get some excellent support and help with animation problems from other forum users.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

myles wrote:No, sorry, the moderators have the power to delete individual spam posts and that's about all.

Regards, Myles.
I echo Myles's comment here - we don't have the authority to "unpend" members. I can and do knock out messages daily: I'm usually on-board 2-3 per day unless I am away filming.My boss knows I work on Moho and therefore I can use shift-time to periodically check. I also check last thing at night. Its unusual for spam to exist for more than a few hours. (Check the membership list, do a descending sort and you will see how many 0 posts there are per day - they are the moderator cleaned mesages).

We are authorised to kill the spam messages only - not censor content of regular members. Sometimes we are faced with borderline messages (like one good post on oil countries controlling international politics - had it been in misc chat, the mesage would have stayed: But it was posted in Moho 5 and it got killed - way off-topic). So we don't have the authority to edit or delete normally-registered messages.We also have no means to move a post - with some forum sottware, the mods can move off-topic discussion to a different area. ""

What is needed here is for posters to self-moderate themselves, to keep miscallaneous chat avay from the main General and Moho 5 discussion areas.

Rhoel

------------------------------------------------------------------
Ammendment:

Myles just pointed out to me that there is now a method of moving a message from one place to another ... I'll try this sometime if I encounter a valid "info-spam" post (info spam is a mesage which doesn't promote cheap drugs or other service, but publicises a valid/topical subject - eg: I've seen several recently requesting food and medical aid/help for the victims of the Lebonese bombardment - before they were deleted.

At least now we have the option of moving the message to the misc-chat area.

Thank Myles for the pointer.
Last edited by Rhoel on Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I think the spam issue is larger than it appears just here.

I am on anther forum with really hard core forum software... all the bells and whistles.... lots of moderators.

That forum NEVER gets spammed... I mean... like... NEVER.... lately... some have gotten through! I was shocked.

I think there is some new "trick" they are using to get in.

What exactly is Ephetomotineaxol anyway? And will it grow my hair back?

;)

-vern
jeff

Post by jeff »

Mr. Google says: Your search - Ephetomotineaxol - did not match any documents.

I'd be very careful using the stuff if I were you. It may make your hair grow where you don't want it.
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

jeff wrote:Mr. Google says: Your search - Ephetomotineaxol - did not match any documents.

I'd be very careful using the stuff if I were you. It may make your hair grow where you don't want it.
Jeff...

As in the Jeff Goldner of Animation Post?
ZenPsycho

Post by ZenPsycho »

I know some of the other people have already voiced their concerns, on this, and eFrontiers has simply replied with a generic marketing statement which has completely failed to answer any of those concerns. I'm actually kind of shocked that people so easily fell for such an obvious red herring.

As a branding consultant, I feel the name change is a disasterous decision. What you have essentially done is taken a very unique and catchy name (Moho), with connotations towards "motion", and turned it into a really generic and forgettable name which will *easily* disappear into a crowd, will *not* be the first result in google, and carries connotations which only the most ameteurish and naive of customers could be attracted to. Companies will spend months and months, and tens of thousands of dollars to come up with a name as good as Moho. Now we are just throwing it out the window! You have taken a unique and interesting and honestly, incredible product, and put it on the shelf with a stack of "how to draw manga" books.

As for the focus groups, I would regard the results of those with *extreme* suspicion, as the focus group environment is never really indicative of sales results, or the quality/longevity of a brand. People answer with what they think they're expected to answer, not neccesarily what they would decide looking at a shelf of products. I was extremely suspicious of the name change at first, and far from calming my suspicions by mentioning focus groups and internet polls, this has in fact heightened my suspicion, and has highlighted the shallow thinking and cheap pandering efrontiers is willing to stoop to.

Sure, you may see a spike in sales at first. But over time, this will wear off, and the long term damage to lost marble's credibility will be clear.

I can only feel pity for mike. I'm sorry you were taken in by these sheisters.

All this being said, I do plan on buying *Moho* as soon as possible *before* it jumps the shark, and eFronteirs inevitably begin adding features and changing things based on future focus groups.
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

Funny, I never got the connotation of "motion" from "Moho". In fact, I though it was a pretty weird name. Although it could have been a lot worse.

It could have been called "Boner".