Importing from Inkscape (SVG?)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

tknaps

Importing from Inkscape (SVG?)

Post by tknaps »

Is it (or will) it be possible to import SVG into Moho layers?

I'm currently using Inkscape quite a lot for drawing, and was wondering if I could import my Inkscape stuff into Moho. I read from the FAQ that it's possible to import EPS images into Moho, so I suppose I could export my Inkscape stuff to EPS and then haul it back in, but is there any information loss when doing it that way?

Thanks,
--
Tarjei
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

SVG is an xml based format so it would be possible to make a lua script to read the file and draw the shapes.

I dont think I will ever create this plugin but someone else might.
tknaps

Post by tknaps »

Good point.

Given that I'm a professional software developer and only a hobbyist animator, I should probably assign the task of writing such a Lua script to myself :) I'll have a look at the latest W3C SVG standard if nothing else, shouldn't be too complicated. There's allways the matter of spare time though... (or the lack thereof).

On a related note, is there any good documentation currently available on the Lua interface to Moho? (haven't had the chance to try the 5.0 beta yet)

One question still reamins though: is there any information loss in saving vector based graphics from Inkscape (or any other software for that matter) as encapsulated postscript and then importing it into Moho?

Thanks,
--
Tarjei
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

I don't know much about SVG, but because of the "unique" way Moho represents vector artwork, there is some loss when importing EPS files. Moho doesn't treat curves the same way as Illustrator for example, so when importing an EPS file, there is a certain amount of approximation going on in Moho.

The same would apply when going SVG->EPS->Moho, even if the SVG->EPS conversion was perfect.
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

hehe "unique", could there be an elaboraton on that in the scripting doc when moho 5 is released? =)