split a bone into multiple bones

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nama_rupa

split a bone into multiple bones

Post by nama_rupa »

I have come across this problem several times in the little time i have been using moho where I set up a rig for a character and realize i need to take one bone and break it into multiple bones. this usually results in me have to re-rig most of my character.

If this is possible than the opposite might also be possible. Something like a merge bones, or combine bones. Could probably only do this with a parent and its child type relationship. but yeah i think these would be feature that would help a users workflow.
Postality

Post by Postality »

I'll second this feature.

I've been thinking about this one for a while, esspecially when I was creating my hair dynamic particle layer.

it would have saved me ALOT of time that it took to create the hiair.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Yes... a "merge bone" function would be pretty slick.
----------------------

Not exactly a work around... but this works for me...

I have been in this situation myself, and find that unparenting the bones AROUND the bone you need to add in more bones, or take out bones, simplifies the process.

By unparenting them all the child bones won't go moving all around as you reposition. And you can add in or take out bones without worries of disturbing the rest of the rig.

Once done reparent as before and even the animation key frames are still there just as they were.

Constraints are tricky... deleting some bones can possibly mess up those relationships... the constraints are still there but you may need to reassign them to the bone in some cases.

Here is the rule... if you delete a bone that is ABOVE a bone used in a constraint (as in, order of creation) it will break the constraint as the internal bone numbering is changed. Constraints are based on the internal "Moho bone list", not the actual name of the bone.

-vern