Using switch layers to create point motion...

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Using switch layers to create point motion...

Post by heyvern »

I don't really know for sure what to call this.

It shows how to use a switch layer to copy the point motion directly to a vector layer.

http://www.lowrestv.com/moho_stuff/swtichpointcopy.html

Since the motion is keyframed point motion you can use key frame interpolation methods (ease in, ease out, etc) and you can pause the transitions... change the tempo... start and stop at different points... add new key frames... etc.

More versatility than a switch layer alone, yet you use the switch layer to easily produce the keyframes from two extreme points of motion.

The tutorial shows how this works with just two layers in a switch. However you could keyframe point motion from as many layers of the switch you want to the "main layer" by changing the switch keys and repeating the steps.

-vern
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Great technique! And simple. like all good ideas! Thanks for sharing...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I second that ... again

Vincent
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Thanks for the comments.

Just a note to those who love all the "extra" new tools that have been created by users...

I find that for some reason, the keyframing doesn't seem "stick" for all the points if you use Fazek's universal point tool. the one that does everything with one tool? That one.

The default tool for Moho always key frames all the points selected when you just "touch" them on the time line.

Fazek's custom tool works EXACTLYT THE WAY IT SHOULD! However... if you have a bunch of points selected and click on one it deselects the others. Or if you click OFF the points.. it deslects all of them and no key frame.

For some reason using the "add keyframe..." right click in the timeline also doesn't work. The only way to get a key frame is with the original translate tool.

I have always kept the "original" translate point tool in my tool box so I use that for this technique.

I thought I should mention this because it caused me some confusion. I had done this technique ages ago before I used the new translate tool. It seemed to not work properly until I switched tools.

---------

I have been thinking it might be possible to create a menu script to copy those key framed points from a switch to another layer with the same points. This would make the process even easier...

... I'm not volunteering but if I ever get a chance I may look at it.

-Vern
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

This tutorial shows why Moho is the best 2d animation program on the market. In 1 hour I used the same technique to create a head turn with only 2 key poses: front and 3/4 view. Unlike regular switch layers you can control just about everything, including the ease-out I added to the turn. It also gives you an instant library of inbetweens to use as keys. THIS. IS. AMAZING.

http://darthfurby.phpnet.us/headturn.html

Everyone who hasn't read this tutorial needs to read this tutorial.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

WooHooo!

Thanks!
Glad to know I explained it properly.

Nice to know I am able to come up with new ideas... I usually use everyone elses. ;)

-vern
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Looks cool heyvern. Have to play with this as soon as I get back from church. :)
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I recommend calling this the "head turn" tutorial even tho its a starry blob thing in the example. Point motion is the best way to handle non cut-out style animation, especially with this technique.
Fazek

Post by Fazek »

Thank you for all of this. The side-effect of the original translation tool is really useful in this case (maybe not in other cases), but it is only because the Add Keyframe menu item works wrong in this situation. Clicking on a point may cause an accidental translation of the points.

Anyway, you can use my version of the Translation tool as well: just be sure that the X: and Y: fields are both zero (default), then click on the Translate button on the toolbar.

The best tool for this, I think a Snapshot could be, which creates a new vector layer with the actual contents of the selected layer.
- - - Fazek
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Heyvern! I just read this and it's a great technic! thanks for this trick.