Copy bones to another arm

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SuperSGL

Copy bones to another arm

Post by SuperSGL »

Never had to do this before but I've been updating a character and had to create a new arm and added bones to it. It's moving well and I want to just copy the left arm to the right arm with the bones. What's the process to do this?
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Panha

Re: Copy bones to another arm

Post by Panha »

SuperSGL wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:18 am Never had to do this before but I've been updating a character and had to create a new arm and added bones to it. It's moving well and I want to just copy the left arm to the right arm with the bones. What's the process to do this?
Just copy and paste, then adjust the bone.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

What I do is save a copy of the project, and then rename the bones and actions for the mirror side. For example, if your bone/action has an R at the end, change it to an L. When renaming actions, you can select the root group of the item (i.e, the 'arm' group,) and rename the actions for that. The renaming will propagate to the items inside the group. Note: select ONLY the group...this automatic renaming won't work if you also select the layers inside. Also, you MUST do this in a separate project to avoid naming conflicts.

Now, with the original project open, use Copy Layer and Paste Layer to copy the group from the second project. If the mirrored bone names match, they should work for the mirrored actions that come in with the pasted group.

If you're pasting in mirrored Smart Bones Dials, chances are they will break, and you will need to reset their Actions. This is easy and not a big deal...just open the Smart Bone Action for the dial bones, delete the keys, and re-key them. Fortunately, the keyframes in the Smart Bone Actions inside the group items should be fine after pasting, so there is no need to worry about that. Just be sure to use Copy Layer and Paste Layer with the group, and not Copy and Paste.

I'm writing from memory, but I believe the above steps are accurate. Once you get the hang of it, it's not a difficult or time-consuming process. I'm making a video tutorial for this, which will go into more detail. I will let you know when it's up.

Alternatively, you can use Mult Rush's MR Transform Rig Tool. This tool was made for this sort of thing but be forewarned that this is an advanced tool. I've used it to duplicate and mirror limbs in tests and had a few issues, but I'm pretty sure this was a user error on my part. If I figure out a workflow I can use, I'll make a video about it. Also, the creator, KuzKuz, made a video demonstration for the tool. It's got English subtitles and is informative. You can figure it out between the video, the info on the script page, and the built-in help. If necessary, I'm sure you can ask him for additional info, too.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu May 09, 2024 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I use Mult Rush's Trasform Rig Tool and I totally recommend it to you all. It may look a little bit scary but it's actually well explained (at least the steps to do this specifically) in his youtube video and learning to use it will give you super powers.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Thanks guy's I did the copy and paste before I posted but everything got wonky. Luckily I didn't have too many actions going on just smart bone fixes. Just wondering what the process & steps to take was.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations