Bone Transparency and Pin bone can be manipulated with manipuated bone tool

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Panha

Bone Transparency and Pin bone can be manipulated with manipuated bone tool

Post by Panha »

I hope in the future updates, Moho will allow users to be able to make bone transparency so that characters that is built with many be seen clearly without bone distracting the animators' sight. One more thing is that, now if we want to manipulate pin bone, we have to use Transform bone tool. To me, most of the time I am on manipulated bone tool, so if the characters have both pin bone and normal bone, I need to switch between transform bone tool and manipulate bone tool. I hope in the future updates, pin bone can be able to be manipulate with manipulate bone tool too.
Hoptoad

Re: Bone Transparency and Pin bone can be manipulated with manipuated bone tool

Post by Hoptoad »

One little trick is to select the Eyedropper tool. Then all the bones disappear.

Also, above the timeline where most of the buttons are, there is a button called Show Curves. If you turn it off, the bones are hidden.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I click the Show Curves button to temporarily hide bones in the Working Space...

If you only want to make some bones invisible with a toggle switch, use Shy. Shy can be assigned a hotkey so you can toggle bones that have Shy enabled off and on, without affecting other bones. (Or just use the Shy button in my MQC panel to click them on and off.) I use this method for any bones I don't want the animator to touch.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun May 05, 2024 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panha

Post by Panha »

Hoptoad wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:30 pm One little trick is to select the Eyedropper tool. Then all the bones disappear.

Also, above the timeline where most of the buttons are, there is a button called Show Curves. If you turn it off, the bones are hidden.
Thank you for that. However, turning off bone completely make it hard to be animated. I tried it, turn off Show Curves work pretty much well to me, but still I most of the time, grabbed the wrong bones.
Panha

Post by Panha »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:48 pm I click the Show Curves button to temporarily hide bones in the Working Space...

If you only want to make some bones invisible with a toggle switch, use Shy. Shy can be assigned a hotkey so you can toggle bones that have Shy enabled off and on, without affecting other bones. (Or just use the Shy button in my MQC panel to click them on and off.) I use this method for any bones I don't want the animator to touch.
Thank you for that, I did it most of the time. Shy bones is good, and help me reduce the amount of keyframes I don't want in the timeline, and also help me to continue the keyframes I don't want to freeze while animating. However, it is the way that shy bone is useful. But when it comes to animating many bones (bones that we don't want to hide because we need to animate them frequently) I think transparency bone can be good. Sometimes I want use pin bone where possible to reduce the complexity of the characters, and they are a lot along with normal bones, so they block my sight. :)
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

I'm now confused about what you want to do. If I keep selecting the wrong bone, I usually rebuild my bone rig so that I make fewer mistakes. Or zoom-in and pick the correct bone.
Panha

Post by Panha »

Hoptoad wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:31 pm I'm now confused about what you want to do. If I keep selecting the wrong bone, I usually rebuild my bone rig so that I make fewer mistakes. Or zoom-in and pick the correct bone.
Selecting the wrong when I turn off the "Show Curve". Without turning it off, I don't have problem with selecting wrong bones, however, turning it on with characters that are built with many bones, the bones sometimes block my sight. :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ok, then you probably want to use Hide Bones or Shy Bones.

Hide Bones works well if you only want to hide selected bones and show them again temporarily. When you Unhide the bones, it shows all hidden bones, so you can't use this for a specific set of bones.

Shy Bones works better when you want to toggle hide/show for a specific set of bones consistently. I use this for bones that I want to stay hidden in a rig so they don't get animated accidentally. Then, I use the Show Shy command to see the bones when I need to make a change to them and use Shy to hide them again. Unfortunately, you can't make sub-groups for Shy to hide/show individually. This only works for one specific set of bones using the Shy option It's still very useful, though.

If you want to be able to toggle bones visibility, you can use Vitruvian Bones for that. Just make the 'hidden' option an empty VBones group. I use this VBones setup in a Smart Bone Dial to hide and show face bones to reduce clutter.
Panha

Post by Panha »

Greenlaw wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:19 pm Ok, then you probably want to use Hide Bones or Shy Bones.

Hide Bones works well if you only want to hide selected bones and show them again temporarily. When you Unhide the bones, it shows all hidden bones, so you can't use this for a specific set of bones.

Shy Bones works better when you want to toggle hide/show for a specific set of bones consistently. I use this for bones that I want to stay hidden in a rig so they don't get animated accidentally. Then, I use the Show Shy command to see the bones when I need to make a change to them and use Shy to hide them again. Unfortunately, you can't make sub-groups for Shy to hide/show individually. This only works for one specific set of bones using the Shy option It's still very useful, though.

If you want to be able to toggle bones visibility, you can use Vitruvian Bones for that. Just make the 'hidden' option an empty VBones group. I use this VBones setup in a Smart Bone Dial to hide and show face bones to reduce clutter.
Thank you very much for answering. However, shy bones is one way to hide the bones. I also use Shy bones to hide bones I don't want them to have keyframe on timeline while animating. But what I have problem with is not animating bones, I have problem with characters (clothes with different colors) that have many bones such as the normal skeleton bones combined with some extra bone to control clothes, and more. It is hard to see because the color of the characters and the bone make it too complex. While those bones are on the characters, we can use Shy bones for bones that we are not animating and it reduce the complexity of the bones on the characters. However, sometimes I want all the bones to be on the characters because they are needed to be animated. Showing and Hiding shy bones is one way, however if we can make those those bone transparency to the level we want, we still see the bone slightly and and we still see the whole of our characters. :D
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I think I understand. Do you want Bones transparency to be adjustable so some bones can have different transparency from other bones? Interesting idea.

Yes, I would use that myself, and mostly because I feel the current semi-transparency can make some bones too hard to see over certain artwork colors and textures. In this case, I wish I could set these bones to 100% solid, and also set my own custom colors.

I hope the devs see this and will consider adding this feature.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed May 08, 2024 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
teienkawi

Post by teienkawi »

im not sure if this is exactly what your looking for but i find it very useful and having read this its popped up pretty strong in my mind. each bones color and opacity can pretty much be what we want by changing the vector shapes color and/or alpha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJpAeppej1I
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, yeah! I almost forgot about that tool.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try it for what I just described. :D
Panha

Post by Panha »

teienkawi wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:38 pm im not sure if this is exactly what your looking for but i find it very useful and having read this its popped up pretty strong in my mind. each bones color and opacity can pretty much be what we want by changing the vector shapes color and/or alpha.

Thank you very much. That tools allows us to make Bones visible to render output. However,what I want is similar to the color of the bones. Let's say we want the colors of the bones to be different so that we can see which bone is for arms, for legs, and so on. The color of the bones makes the bones easy to quickly recognize. Similar to this, if we can set the bones the transparency, so that we can make the bones to slightly visible to make it easily see the character without beneath the bones. Similar to the button "Show Curve", but "Show Curve" completely make the bones invisible. What I want is not not make it completely invisible, I want to be able set the bones to slightly visible. :D
teienkawi

Post by teienkawi »

Panha wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:21 am
teienkawi wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:38 pm im not sure if this is exactly what your looking for but i find it very useful and having read this its popped up pretty strong in my mind. each bones color and opacity can pretty much be what we want by changing the vector shapes color and/or alpha.

Thank you very much. That tools allows us to make Bones visible to render output. However,what I want is similar to the color of the bones. Let's say we want the colors of the bones to be different so that we can see which bone is for arms, for legs, and so on. The color of the bones makes the bones easy to quickly recognize. Similar to this, if we can set the bones the transparency, so that we can make the bones to slightly visible to make it easily see the character without beneath the bones. Similar to the button "Show Curve", but "Show Curve" completely make the bones invisible. What I want is not not make it completely invisible, I want to be able set the bones to slightly visible. :D
your welcome there's a couple things i forgot to mention. we can set the virtual bone vector layer to don't render. and though the show curve button hides the bones the vector remains so the bones can still be used by using the vector
as reference to where the bones are (with the transform bone tool we can still see the handles of the bones) so from there all we got to do for slightly transparent bones is either lower the vector layers opacity or the specific shapes alpha to which bone it represents. also be aware it doesn't have the same effect on the timeline as the select bone tools coloring bones does so maybe still using the select bones color function with can help distinguish some of the bones in the timeline