Can you shortcut to a Switch Layer??

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gibble

Can you shortcut to a Switch Layer??

Post by Gibble »

My Hand Switch layer is buried in the Character's Rig [Layer] hierarchy - and currently I am digging through the layers to access it which is a slow process.
Does anyone have any timesaving tips on how to create a shortcut to a Switch Layer?
Is making it into a Smartbone the only option? Since I plan to continually be updating the hands within that switch layer- ideally, I can access and operate directly from the Switch layer and not a Smartbone.
Greenlaw

Re: Can you shortcut to a Switch Layer??

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes! There's a limitation with the official shortcut, though.

To select a group that an artwork layer belongs to, just Shift+Alt+RMB on the artwork in the working area. If the art belongs to a Switch layer, this shortcut selects it. Bonus: if you're using the Switch Selection Window, the Switch layer will automatically load into it.

The limitation is that when the art layer is inside a group inside the Switch, then the shortcut selects the sub-group, not the Switch.

Another way is to use one of the layer selection scripts, like Layer Shortcut or Layer Selection Buttons.

Between the two, I suggest Layer Selection Buttons for a simple and reliable solution. To make it quicker to access, assign a shortcut to the tool.

I used to like Layer Shortcut because it let me create a button directly inside the working area as part of my Smart Bone controls, but unfortunately, this method breaks when the project using it is imported to another project.

These days, I have a much better solution. I meant to post an explanation a couple of months ago, but I wanted to record a demo video for it. I have a deadline to meet today but I will try to record the video this week.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed May 01, 2024 7:57 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I should have mentioned that Shift+Alt+RMB has a companion shortcut: Alt+RMB. This variation selects the layer directly. I use this one all the time.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

OH! Here's another Switch Layer shortcut technique. I haven't used this one in many years, but it still work in 14.1:

Use Ctrl+Alt+RMB on the visible Switch Layer artwork in the Working Area, and Moho will pop up a Switch Layer list. Select an item from the list to switch to and keyframe it. Unlike Shift+Alt+RMB, this method doesn't care if the artwork is in a sub-group. (As a matter of fact, all of the items in the list above are sub-groups) Also, you don't even need to select the Switch layer to use it...if the rig's folder is collapsed, it will remain collapsed when you use this technique.

The key to using this method efficiently is to name your layers and sub-groups clearly. Note that only the names in the Switch's root folder appear in the list, so you don't have to worry about the individual files inside a sub-group appearing here.

I used method routinely, way, waaaay back when I was animating my first Moho (then called Anime Studio) character at DreamWorks Animation. I almost forgot about this blast-from-the-past technique. :D

BTW, obviously, this is not the new method I mentioned earlier. I'll explain that one later. But for now, maybe this technique will do what you need?
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun May 05, 2024 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Because I never run out of tricks, here's one more...

If the issue is that you don't want to dig into the rig's folder structure to find the Switch Layer, set the Layer Window's Search box to Kind Contains.

Now, when you need to find the Switch layer quickly, enter 'Switch'. Moho will list all the Switch Layers in the Project and you can select any of them to load it into the Switch Selection window. To go back to the regular Layers Window view, just delete the 'Switch' text. (I really wish this box had a [X] button to clear the text.)

Alternatively, you can set the Search Window to Tags Contains and then add a tag to a Switch layer so it lists only the layers or groups using this tag. One example where this is useful is when you wish to see only the Switch layers for a specific character.

A nice advantage to this method is that you will see the keyframes in the Timeline for the Switch layer. With the pop-up list method above, you might never see the keyframes because the rig in the Layers Window remains collapsed.

I might use any of these methods. The method I choose depends on the how much time I have to set things up, and...oh, I don't...what the weather is like outside? :D
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu May 02, 2024 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm...I actually have a few more techniques I can share. I need to add this subject to my upcoming tutorial series. :P
Gibble

Post by Gibble »

Hahaha- WOW! There is no shortage of methods to create a shortcut! Thanks, DR!!!
You are the Human Moho Encyclopedia :D !!
I am looking forward to your video too!
Thanks again for all your help, DR :)