Actions, 2d mesh and loop

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

franktdigiart

Actions, 2d mesh and loop

Post by franktdigiart »

Hi everyone, I'm new here on the forum and I've recently been using moho in my animations and I need some help on how to animate with actions and bones using the timeline. I'll explain.
I generally import my psd file with all the separate pngs and create the 2d mesh triangulation of each of them. Usually I don't associate them with the bones but only with this layer, so I go to the properties of an image (for example the eyelids), and check the smart warp layer box. So when I create the actions I move the points of the 2d mesh and automatically also the png associated with it. Very simple.
But now I would like to understand how to bring these actions onto the timeline.
Let's take the example of the eyelids again. I create a bone with angles 0 and -90 degrees, name it, and then click in the sections window and then actions.
For example, if I want to close the eyelids, 0 degrees is the point where they are open and -90 is the point where I close them. So when I move that bone the eyelid also moves. Open and close and then reopen them by going back.
Now it's time to put this action in the timeline.
For example, at one second the eye is open, at two seconds the eye is closed, so I put the keyframe of the bone at -90 degrees to make it close and then I reopen it by putting, for example, at three seconds the bone again at 0 degrees. Here it is still easy but the problem lies in the more complex animations.

For example, if you want to animate an arm that goes from down to top, this can always be done, but the same animation that is used to make it go up can work to make it go down, just make the action of the bones go backwards. But this way it actually feels like a reverse replay. It's not very fluid in action. So to differentiate the action I use different key frames. I use this way for all the pngs, I put the beginning of the action and the end with the same position so when I scroll the timeline it looks like a loop. But how can I make the bone actions spin 360 degrees clockwise, without them looping back otherwise it looks like the character is going backwards, but I want the bone action to continue in a loop.

So to simplify I would like to use keyframes, bone actions to animate, using the 2d mesh layer for more control. The problem is that when I insert the actions of the bones these from the point 0 degrees to -90 (both have the same keyframe to create a perfect loop) I want them to return directly to 0 degrees without going back to the recorded action otherwise the characters will it moves in reverse, but I want it to start again in a loop, and then if I want it to move faster just insert these two points closer together in the timeline. English is not my first language but I am willing to share some examples privately via email. I need someone fairly experienced in animation. Thank you
Hoptoad

Re: Actions, 2d mesh and loop

Post by Hoptoad »

This might work.

If the arm only moves 90 degrees and you want it to move 360 degrees, you could periodically rotate the layer where the arm is located.

On the frame where the arm reaches 90 degrees, make a keyframe for layer rotation. On the next frame, rotate the layer 90 degrees clockwise. The arm will now rotate in a different position in the workspace (91-180 degrees).

Repeat this process until the arm makes a full circle.

There are probably more elegant solutions, but that's what I would try.
franktdigiart

Post by franktdigiart »

Hi, thank you for your response.
I don't want the arm to move 360 but I want to create a loop of the action, using the bones with their actions in the timeline.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Oh. Do you meant cycling?

To do that, you select all the keyframes that you want to cycle (they'll become red). Then you right-click on one of the far-right selected keyframes. A menu will appear. Choose "Cycle" from the menu.
franktdigiart

Post by franktdigiart »

I will try it and let you know. For example I create an action that runs for a total of 3 seconds. I would like to use this action several times up to, for example, 12 seconds. Always using the bones associated with the actions on the timeline. Is it possible to do this?
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Yes. It sounds like you want "cycle interpolation." It will repeat the keyframes over and over until the animation runs out of frames. You'll know you did cycling correctly when you see a red arrow going from the last keyframe of the cycle to the 2nd keyframe of the cycle.

When you want the cycle to stop on a particular frame, go to that frame, go to the top menu and make this selection: BONE > FREEZE VISIBLE BONES and that will stop the cycling.

Animators use this method for "walk cycles" all the time.

There is another method that is a little bit more complicated. If you want to try that as well, let me know.
franktdigiart

Post by franktdigiart »

Thank you. In the next few days I will practice what you are giving me. If you have more tutorials you can write it here if you want, I thank you for what you are doing.
Just keep it as simple as possible, ok ^^. I am still a beginner and I still have to understand how this software works.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

The default interpolation in Moho is "smooth." It's the interpolation you'll use most of the time.

But learning to use "cycle interpolation" is important. If you figure out how to do that, you'll have learned a lot.

I suggest you also experiment with "step interpolation" and "linear interpolation" at some point. They are useful, too.

Good luck.
franktdigiart

Post by franktdigiart »

I tried a few tests and it seems to be working. So thank you very much!
Now another problem, I don't know if you can help me.
I created some actions with bones but once I try to put them in the mainline don't work, the character moves but it doesn't keep the same actions that I recorded.
I spent a few days to do these actions so I don't want to do them again.
I usually create a bone with an angular movement of 90 degrees, and associate it with an action, so open bone start action, close bone end action. But this time there is something wrong. There is nothing in the timeline.

I have not yet applied these actions on the timeline but now I noticed that there is a small difference between frame 0 and 1, but how is this possible if I worked inside the actions window and nothing on the mainline.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

A lot of things can go wrong with actions, if you make a little mistake.

In my opinion, the simplest way to make and use actions is to use "Insert Copy" in the Actions tab.

Say, for example, you made your character wave his hand "hello" on frame 48 to frame 58. There are a several keyframes: frames 48, 50, 54, 55, and 58. You want to re-use the waving, so you want an Action.

Step 1: SELECT the keyframes for the animation in the timeline, all of the waving keyframes from 48-58.

Step 2: COPY the selection.

Step 3: go to the Action tab and click New Action. Give the new Action a descriptive title, like "Waving Hand."

Step 4: you are now in the pink timeline for Actions. PASTE the selection there.

Step 5: double-click Mainline to exit.

You have created an Action. To insert it into the timeline wherever you want, use "Insert Copy."

Step 6: go to the frame on the timeline where you want the character to wave a second time. For example, frame 100.

Step 7: go to the Actions tab and then click the REGULAR tab or the ALL tab. You will find your Action here.

Step 8: SELECT the Action titled "Waving Hand." Just one click.

Step 9: click the icon that looks like 2 pieces of paper -- that's "Insert copy." This will put a copy of the Action in the timeline.
franktdigiart

Post by franktdigiart »

Thanks It worked!
franktdigiart

Post by franktdigiart »

Small tip for those like me who have a problem when I put actions on the timeline.
Sometimes you need to check that the bones are associated with actions.

Secondly, to make a character move, you can do it by directing all the bones of the body to a main one but this is not what you need to move to control the character. You have to create another one outside the character and direct the main one to this external one.
It works better that way. Just in case anyone has this problem.