changing layer origin affecting position

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

julgul

changing layer origin affecting position

Post by julgul »

Hi everyone! For some layers (group layers included), I am able to change the point of origin without affecting the position, and for others, I can't. Why is this happening? Is there a layer setting somewhere that I am not aware of? Thanks!!
julgul

Re: changing layer origin affecting position

Post by julgul »

I've linked a video to show what I mean. As you can see, the layer moves when I move the left eye's origin point. Does anyone know why this happens? The other eye doesn't move when I change the origin point.

https://vimeo.com/934300373/1f0be8cffa?share=copy

Thanks!!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

That likely has something to do with some combination of nested layers being horizontally flipped.

Hard to diagnose it further than that without seeing a file with at least the problem layers.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

I've seen a lot of problems, but never that. :shock:

This is how I would proceed.

First, delete the old, bad eye. Something is seriously wrong with it.

Then create a new group layer called R Eye. Add however many empty vector layers you'll need. Go into the "good" eye folder and copy the points in 1 layer, then paste those points (and shapes) into the corresponding new layer. While the points are still selected, click the flip horizontal button at the top of the window. Repeat for all the vector layers until the eye is copied. Now re-position the new group layer where it belongs. Use the Set Origin tool and it should work.
julgul

Post by julgul »

Thank you, Synthsin75 and Hoptoad, for your replies! Hoptoad, I will try your suggestion. Interestingly, when I copied the whole head group into another project, the problem disappeared.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

I'm glad you found a solution.

Whenever I'm trying to remember a Moho process that I forgot how to do, I sometimes make mistakes while searching for the correct result. Sometimes those mistakes create strange behaviors that make no sense to me. Whenever that happens, I find it's often easier (and quicker!) to remake the problem art or animation, rather than trying to figure out the sequence of events that created the problem and trying to undo it step-by-step.