No "Select All" keyboard shortcut for Select Shapes tool?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Reindeer

No "Select All" keyboard shortcut for Select Shapes tool?

Post by Reindeer »

When I use the Select Shape tool (Q), there's a "Select all" button on the toolbar, but for some reason there's no corresponding cmd-A or ctrl-A keyboard shortcut to do the same thing quicker.
Select All keyboard shortcut seems to work only with the Select Points (A).
synthsin75

Re: No "Select All" keyboard shortcut for Select Shapes tool?

Post by synthsin75 »

Ctrl+A works with the basic object of the layer. So bones on bone layers and vector points on vector layers. The functionality is not dependent on the selected tool, otherwise you'd always have to select the right tool first.

On my select shape tool, I used shift+drag to select multiple shapes. I think I also made a button to select all at one point, so it could be given a shortcut.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:50 pm Ctrl+A works with the basic object of the layer. So bones on bone layers and vector points on vector layers. The functionality is not dependent on the selected tool, otherwise you'd always have to select the right tool first.

On my select shape tool, I used shift+drag to select multiple shapes. I think I also made a button to select all at one point, so it could be given a shortcut.
True, but if it works with Points and Bones, why shouldn't it also work with shapes? Select dragging is not practical when one has many shapes (and small ones).
The "select all" button is there, luckily, I was just wondering why the Ctrl-A or Cmd-A shortcut can't do its job the same way it does with the other two tools. It would seem natural.
I might be biased by the fact that I'm working on a project with a lot of freehand drawing in it, so using "Q" to change brushes and styles of all strokes is quite a frequent operation.
I find myself automatically going to the keyboard shortcut – as I do with Points and Bones – and having to second-thing "Oh, right, there's a button for that" :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

The only way Moho would know if you want to select points or shapes would be to make it dependent on the selected tool. If you do that, you always have to select the right tool first. So every option comes with compromises.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

I remember back when I had to install a script to select all the shapes on a layer, so the Select All button still feels super convenient to me.

Generally, if I suspect that I may need to select 100 green leafs on a layer, for example, I will create a Style and call it "leaf" and use it while creating each leaf. Then, if I need to change the color or stroke width or whatever of the leafs, I simply go to the "leaf" style in the Style Window and edit it once, and all the leafs change at the same time.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:22 am The only way Moho would know if you want to select points or shapes would be to make it dependent on the selected tool. If you do that, you always have to select the right tool first. So every option comes with compromises.
I might be getting something wrong, but right now the select all keyboard shortcut looks like it works in relation to the tool being currently used. In fact, if I'm using Add Points (A) tool, ctr-A will select all points. If I'm using bones, it'll select all bones. So, why shouldn't it select all shapes when I'm using the Select Shape (Q) tool?
Having a "Select all" button for this tool only looks counterintuitive (is this sound foolish, I must be missing something very obvious :) ).
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Hoptoad wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:48 am I remember back when I had to install a script to select all the shapes on a layer, so the Select All button still feels super convenient to me.

Generally, if I suspect that I may need to select 100 green leafs on a layer, for example, I will create a Style and call it "leaf" and use it while creating each leaf. Then, if I need to change the color or stroke width or whatever of the leafs, I simply go to the "leaf" style in the Style Window and edit it once, and all the leafs change at the same time.
I use Select Shapes a lot when using freehand tool. I draw a lot (something that has become possible with the improvements in Moho's drawing tool), and use different brushes, which produces lots of strokes. The Select Shape tool becomes essential to change brushes and styles on the go. This post is actually just me wondering why the universal "select all" keyboard shortcut, which works in two different ways with the Points tool and the Bones tool doesn't do the same trick with the Select Shapes tool.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Reindeer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:16 am. . .This post is actually just me wondering why the universal "select all" keyboard shortcut, which works in two different ways with the Points tool and the Bones tool doesn't do the same trick with the Select Shapes tool.
You know, that's a good question. I can't imagine why it would be a bad thing, and the shortcut is well-known. Perhaps make a ticket through the feature-request area of the forum, and maybe it'll be added next update. The developer has added features to Moho many times after somebody made a suggestion.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Reindeer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:08 am I might be getting something wrong, but right now the select all keyboard shortcut looks like it works in relation to the tool being currently used. In fact, if I'm using Add Points (A) tool, ctr-A will select all points. If I'm using bones, it'll select all bones. So, why shouldn't it select all shapes when I'm using the Select Shape (Q) tool?
Having a "Select all" button for this tool only looks counterintuitive (is this sound foolish, I must be missing something very obvious :) ).
That's based on the selected layer type, not the tool. That's why ctrl+A selects points, even while the select shape tool is selected. Ctrl+A just works on the basic object of that layer type.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:16 am
Reindeer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:08 am I might be getting something wrong, but right now the select all keyboard shortcut looks like it works in relation to the tool being currently used. In fact, if I'm using Add Points (A) tool, ctr-A will select all points. If I'm using bones, it'll select all bones. So, why shouldn't it select all shapes when I'm using the Select Shape (Q) tool?
That's based on the selected layer type, not the tool. That's why ctrl+A selects points, even while the select shape tool is selected. Ctrl+A just works on the basic object of that layer type.
Aa, now I get it. So, what I'm seeing on screen when I select with Q-Select Shape tool is actually point selection, even though the points are not visible (because the layer is displaying shapes).
What still puzzles me is that selecting with one tool or the other, and then switching tool does not result in a selection of either points or shapes.
For example: if I select two shapes and then switch to A-Add Points tool, the paths do not appear with their points selected. Viceversa, if I select all points of a path with A-Add point tool and then switch to Q-Select Shape tool, I don't get any shape selection. In both cases, I need to re-select. So, even thought they are linked because they're on the same layer, as you suggest (if I understand correctly), they don't appear to behave as such.
The only continuity of selection occurs between A-Add Point tool and T-Transform too, for obvious path transforming reasons.
Last edited by Reindeer on Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Hoptoad wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:30 am
Reindeer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:16 am. . .This post is actually just me wondering why the universal "select all" keyboard shortcut, which works in two different ways with the Points tool and the Bones tool doesn't do the same trick with the Select Shapes tool.
You know, that's a good question. I can't imagine why it would be a bad thing, and the shortcut is well-known. Perhaps make a ticket through the feature-request area of the forum, and maybe it'll be added next update. The developer has added features to Moho many times after somebody made a suggestion.
I don't know if this detail is felt as much by other users as to ask for an UI tweak. It may be very personal. As far as I've understood from what @synthsin75 said, it works like that because on a layer Moho treats a selection of shapes as it does for points (even though it de-selects once you switch between Q and A tools).
Q-Select Shape tool has a "select all" after all, it's just in form of a button rather than a shortcut, so it's usable. It doesn't feel natural to me, my brain is always telling me "Ctrl-A!", but it's there.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Reindeer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:23 am Aa, now I get it. So, what I'm seeing on screen when I select with Q-Select Shape tool is actually point selection, even though the points are not visible (because the layer is displaying shapes).
Yep.
What still puzzles me is that selecting with one tool or the other, and then switching tool does not result in a selection of either points or shapes.
For example: if I select two shapes and then switch to A-Add Points tool, the paths do not appear with their points selected. Viceversa, if I select all points of a path with A-Add point tool and then switch to Q-Select Shape tool, I don't get any shape selection. In both cases, I need to re-select. So, even thought they are linked because they're on the same layer, as you suggest (if I understand correctly), they don't appear to behave as such.
The only continuity of selection occurs between A-Add Point tool and T-Transform too, for obvious path transforming reasons.
Yeah, selecting shapes doesn't automatically select the points, or vice versa. I think there are some modded tools that can select the points for the selected shape.

Yes, vector paths (points & curves) and vector shapes are 2 separate things. This is why you can have a shape that covers more than one closed path. It's not a one for one relationship.
It's not that you're reselecting. It's just that they are 2 different things.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:21 pm
Reindeer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:23 am Aa, now I get it. So, what I'm seeing on screen when I select with Q-Select Shape tool is actually point selection, even though the points are not visible (because the layer is displaying shapes).
Yep.
Yeah, selecting shapes doesn't automatically select the points, or vice versa. I think there are some modded tools that can select the points for the selected shape.

Yes, vector paths (points & curves) and vector shapes are 2 separate things. This is why you can have a shape that covers more than one closed path. It's not a one for one relationship.
It's not that you're reselecting. It's just that they are 2 different things.
Thanks for the explanation. So, it would basically need a special "select all" shortcut (like, ctrl-shift-A) which would point directly to the "select all" action of the button presently on the UI. Which would sort of forfeit the purpose, because one would still need to think a fraction of a second which selection keyboard shortcut to use. Might as well use the button! :)