Failed to parse JSON document

Discuss Moho bugs (or suspected bugs) with other users. To report bugs to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sang820

Failed to parse JSON document

Post by sang820 »

This is a lens file I'm working on. I can't open it using 14.1 or 13.5. Can you help me fix it? Thanks :(

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qrViFf ... sp=sharing
SimplSam

Re: Failed to parse JSON document

Post by SimplSam »

That link says "You need access"
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
sang820

Post by sang820 »

SimplSam wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:40 am That link says "You need access"
:shock: Sorry, I'm not very familiar with sharing operations. I should have enabled the permission. Please try downloading the file again. Thank you. :shock:
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

the file itself is corrupt --- a .moho is "just" a .zip with a thumbnail (.jpg) and a plain text JSON (.mohoproj). None of the tools that open compressed files (such as .zip, .7z, ..) that I've tried will open it to allow me to inspect the contents.

Opening with notepad -- it looks as though the file is full of (about 2.5million) ascii x20 (space) characters!?

how far back is your last backup?
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Yeah - Just a file full of nulls.

Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
sang820

Post by sang820 »

hayasidist wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:26 pm the file itself is corrupt --- a .moho is "just" a .zip with a thumbnail (.jpg) and a plain text JSON (.mohoproj). None of the tools that open compressed files (such as .zip, .7z, ..) that I've tried will open it to allow me to inspect the contents.

Opening with notepad -- it looks as though the file is full of (about 2.5million) ascii x20 (space) characters!?

how far back is your last backup?
:shock: Unbelievable~! This is one of the many moho files that I have modified in this project. Currently, the project has produced one-third (approximately 11 minutes of animation), and only this damaged moho file has been found. I am not sure why it was damaged, I hope there is no more damage. Unfortunately, I did not make a backup because there was a very small probability of MOHO file corruption before----Thank you for your help =)
sang820

Post by sang820 »

SimplSam wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:51 pm Yeah - Just a file full of nulls.

:!: This is very scary. I don't know the cause of this fatal error, I don't know if it will happen again, and I don't know how many files will be damaged
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Probably you have already done it, but (assuming you have autosave active) have you checked the autosaved files folder just in case there is a backup of your file/s there? If I remember well, in v14 at least you can directly get there by an entry in Help menu. I've never suffered something like that, but it has saved me in other cases, so there it is just in case...
sang820

Post by sang820 »

Rai López wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:57 pm Probably you have already done it, but (assuming you have autosave active) have you checked the autosaved files folder just in case there is a backup of your file/s there? If I remember well, in v14 at least you can directly get there by an entry in Help menu. I've never suffered something like that, but it has saved me in other cases, so there it is just in case...
:( I modified this file a month ago and it was completely normal at that time. And yesterday when I opened it, it didn't crash (so there was no automatically saved file?), it just reported an error. Thank you for your reminder
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

You mentioned you last worked on the file months ago, and I'm wondering, were you using an older version for Moho at the time, and were these files stored in a cloud storage service like DropBox? I believe there was a problem with an older version of Moho, where a project file could get corrupted when saved to a DropBox directory. I only heard of this happening with DropBox, but I suppose it could have occurred with other cloud storage services too.

To be clear, the DropBox problem does not occur with the current version of Moho (14.1), but if you were working with that older version at the time, maybe the file was a victim of this bug? Just a thought.
sang820

Post by sang820 »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:38 am You mentioned you last worked on the file months ago, and I'm wondering, were you using an older version for Moho at the time, and were these files stored in a cloud storage service like DropBox? I believe there was a problem with an older version of Moho, where a project file could get corrupted when saved to a DropBox directory. I only heard of this happening with DropBox, but I suppose it could have occurred with other cloud storage services too.

To be clear, the DropBox problem does not occur with the current version of Moho (14.1), but if you were working with that older version at the time, maybe the file was a victim of this bug? Just a thought.
:shock: Yes, I have edited this file with other partners and used versions including 13.55 and 14.1. We use zip compression to transfer files point-to-point, we do not use DB. I found an earlier moho file from my friend and it is now back to normal operation. (I forgot about the mov that I generated for this file before) Thank you, Greenlaw :shock:
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Glad to hear you got everything back! :D

Here is a little more info about the Dropbox problem for anyone concerned about it: Using Dropbox for file transfers was fine; the corruption occurred only when working out of a Dropbox folder.

But, as mentioned already, this issue is fixed in the current release of Moho.