Why is 'Copy Previous Key' grayed-out?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hoptoad

Why is 'Copy Previous Key' grayed-out?

Post by Hoptoad »

Recently 'Copy Previous Key' grayed-out. I want to use it, but can't. How do I get it back?

Also, sometimes 'Copy Previous Key' doesn't appear in the list of interpolations. Why doesn't it always appear? What is the circumstance that causes it to be missing from the list?

Thanks.
hayasidist

Re: Why is 'Copy Previous Key' grayed-out?

Post by hayasidist »

Moho 14? Do you have any keys selected (IOW is the dropdown showing a red interp type) ? If so, Copy Previous will be greyed out.

But now you've asked, it does seem odd to me how the "red" persists even when changing layers... more digging needed here. If I find something, I'll be back!

[Edit:] yeah - the "lingering red" seems to be a known issue... is this what you're seeing (red interp type in the dropdown and Copy Previous greyed out?)?
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

Hi. I'm on version 14.

When I have keys selected, I guess I'm seeing the red text issue you mentioned. I see Copy Previous on the information bar in the box, but Copy Previous doesn't work.

When I click on a keyframe, I see "Add Keyframe, Cut, Copy" and so forth, all the way down to "Interval, Label, Select Keys to Right." I don't see "Copy Previous Key" anywhere. Or when I do see it, it's grayed-out.

I'm using a smart bone to choose mouth shapes in a switch layer for lip sync, so I need Step interpolation. But interpolation keeps going back to Smooth, and "Copy Previous" isn't an option for some reason.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I think Copy Previous is only used when creating new keys -- meaning that if you already have a key and you want it to be other than the type it has, you need to set that interp type explicitly (IOW "copy previous" isn't "take the interp type of the previous key and apply it to this key" -- which is why you won't see it when you rt-click an existing key). (and I think there may be an issue when there are keys selected?)

so, in your action:

frame 0/1 create key(s) - doesn't matter what interp mode - and make sure those keys are selected
set (red text) to Step.
deselect keys
set (black/white text) to copy previous

and that should make all the new keys further down the action "step" mode.

Does that help???

[edited for typo]
Last edited by hayasidist on Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

hayasidist wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:51 pm Does that help???
Thank you!
That was the problem. I misremembered how to use the feature. :D
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Hoptoad wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:22 pm Thank you!
That was the problem. I misremembered how to use the feature. :D
most welcome! glad to help.