Automatic Tracking Camera Plugin for Moho

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

avynuecute

Automatic Tracking Camera Plugin for Moho

Post by avynuecute »

I'm looking for a plugin that works to this one from Adobe Animate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JARa5qIN4x8
Basically, I want to use the camera to automatically follow multiple layers for binding, shakes and Parallax.
Is there a way to make the camera automatically track an object moving along a path? Any plugins out there that serve this exact function?

Thanks in advance!
Greenlaw

Re: Automatic Tracking Camera Plugin for Moho

Post by Greenlaw »

That's a very interesting tool. An equivalent tool doesn't exist for Moho, but I can see myself using one if it did...but only if I can still bake the camera motion and bring it into a compositing program.

Thanks for sharing the link. I'll submit a suggestion to the developers.

(I sometimes use Adobe Animate to create FBF elements for Moho. I'll check out this script when I have some time.)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

This reminds me of a request I was planning to make regarding the Moho camera. Currently, Moho treats the Camera differently from other items in Moho, in that, the camera cannot be placed under the Bones layer. If it could, then we could use Bone Constraints to affect its motion, which would give us some of the features of the Adobe Animate camera tool you cited.

I'll combine the two asks in my request.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

and on the subject of camera... how useful would it be to have more than one - so the same animation can be rendered out from different cameras by using different layer comps (which ideally will have frame ranges added to them!) (Also mindful of the work done by Wes on multi-camera!)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Paul,

This sounds like the camera bookmarks found in 3D programs like Maya, which is something I use a lot. This feature stores the camera position and lens setting as a preset in a list. It's useful when setting up a rig or scene, and during animation.

In Moho, I could use something like this when I'm rigging a character because I'm constantly switching between various close-up views and a wide view to test the rig and check my progress. To do this now, I have to keyframe my 'bookmarks' at the end of a timeline so I can recover them, and set the keys to Step mode to prevent interpolation between the views. I know I can use the Actions window for this, but it would be easier and more manageable to have a separate list window just for the camera. (It takes too many steps to add camera presets the Actions window., and managing anything in there gets cumbersome when you have hundreds of Actions.)

Some users may want to use the tool editorially, that is, as a way to switch camera views during animation. IMO, it's more practical to use a video editor for most animated productions, but I can see this working for very short 'micro-productions' for Instagram and YouTube Shorts (i.e., 10-20 seconds.)
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:17 pm Some users may want to use the tool editorially, that is, as a way to switch camera views during animation. IMO, it's more practical to use a video editor for most animated productions...
well, that's kinda what I do anyway - both editorially and to have multiple streams to feed into a video editor.

IOW I can set up to have separate moho files (for different camera positions) and/or with the camera step-key approach (I've used both approaches); but I've had a few times when I've really felt that the multi-camera setup from the era of sitcoms past would simplify things if only I had a layer comp that included camera settings and a frame range...
avynuecute

Post by avynuecute »

hayasidist wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:27 pm and on the subject of camera... how useful would it be to have more than one - so the same animation can be rendered out from different cameras by using different layer comps (which ideally will have frame ranges added to them!) (Also mindful of the work done by Wes on multi-camera!)
The more the merrier, as I say.
avynuecute

Post by avynuecute »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:44 pm This reminds me of a request I was planning to make regarding the Moho camera. Currently, Moho treats the Camera differently from other items in Moho, in that, the camera cannot be placed under the Bones layer. If it could, then we could use Bone Constraints to affect its motion, which would give us some of the features of the Adobe Animate camera tool you cited.

I'll combine the two asks in my request.
The closest I could find is this plugin here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NycZ34upZzQ
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a public link to download it.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

avynuecute wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:45 pm ...

The closest I could find is this plugin here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NycZ34upZzQ
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a public link to download it.
poptoogi has an account here (but doesn't look as though he's been active here for a while) as does orsongalore (inactive here for even longer by the looks of things)... you could always try a PM and hope!
avynuecute

Post by avynuecute »

Then, my best bet at this point is probably these plugins by Mult Rush, assuming the first one can work with Camera movements:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW_owMG2ogQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSMrMN7PWMw
https://mohoscripts.com/script/sz_add_keyframe

Still manual, but efficient enough.