position-scale driver

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MehdiZangenehBar

position-scale driver

Post by MehdiZangenehBar »

smart actions can be use only with bone rotation right?, I'm pretty sure it should be easy for developers to create more advanced expression system that user be able to use position or even scale to drive the actions.
Greenlaw

Re: position-scale driver

Post by Greenlaw »

I agree.

Many years ago, I asked if we could get a UI construction kit in Moho, so we could use items other than bones for Smart Bone Action controls, like dials that look and work like actual knobs and levers, and also sliders, buttons, and user-defined lists. It would also be cool to have live indicators that display the result of the dials, like value, text (Switch drawing names, for example), etc.

No doubt, adding this kit is not an easy task, but it's something I'd still like to see.

For now, it's possible to make bones behave like joysticks and other control types by clever application of constraints, and I've also used Note layers with a synced Switch layer as a live indicator, but it would be very useful if there were 'plug-and-play' options for building control panels for characters and scenes.
DK

Post by DK »

I actually got a bit of a surprise to find this out when I tried just tried using scale instead of rotate to operate as a smartbone action after all these years. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

DK wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:41 pm I actually got a bit of a surprise to find this out when I tried just tried using scale instead of rotate to operate as a smartbone action after all these years. Thanks for the heads up.
That may only seem to work while editing the action.
MehdiZangenehBar

DK wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:41 pm I actually got a bit of a surprise to find this out when I tried just tried using scale instead of rotate to operate as a smartbone action after all these years. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
D.K
Is it possible to use scale? how?
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

I think he means he just tried, but noticed it wasn't possible.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Guess I'm missing something, regarding the benefits of automated Smart Actions...
Last edited by Maestral on Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Daxel wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:50 pm I think he means he just tried, but noticed it wasn't possible.
You can use Scale (or Position) but it is convoluted. The example demonstrates using scale (or position) - Scale where the pin bone is parented to the top of the Scaling bone. The Smart bone then targets the pin bone - and alters the shape of the pink blob - in the action. We could also remove the scaling bone and just move the pin bone up & down (around).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EAuBhT ... sp=sharing

Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

FWIW - a failed experiment from some time ago: use an object (e.g. a pin bone or even a shape) as the slider; have a layerscript that monitors the position of the object and sets the angle of smartbone(s) accordingly. All works great up to a point - the smartbone(s) move just as expected BUT the SB actions don't happen. :(
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

SimplSam wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:14 pm
Daxel wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:50 pm I think he means he just tried, but noticed it wasn't possible.
You can use Scale (or Position) but it is convoluted. The example demonstrates using scale (or position) - Scale where the pin bone is parented to the top of the Scaling bone. The Smart bone then targets the pin bone - and alters the shape of the pink blob - in the action. We could also remove the scaling bone and just move the pin bone up & down (around).
I meant he meant it wasn't possible directly, but that example is going to be very useful for someone looking for that workarround. I'll add this video explanation from Mult Rush that was where I first heard about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY9__VuxU7M

I still have never used that technique after so many years. But I'm going to try it just to experiment. Thank you.
MehdiZangenehBar

OK guys, I should explain my goal again, I know we may be able to find a workaround for this using some hacks, tips and tricks, But I posted in the Feature Request forum, because this need a lower level of development. it should be done in the core programming. I need someone from Moho development see this topic.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I'm sure everyone supports the feature request.

People are just trying to be helpful, in case you could use a solution in the meantime.