Moving multiple shapes to a new layer.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

egypturnash

Moving multiple shapes to a new layer.

Post by egypturnash »

I am trying to draw a character, split it up into layers, and rig it.

I would like to quickly draw a bunch of shapes on one layer, make some layers for body parts, select some of these shapes that make up an individual body part, and move them to a new layer. But when I click on the source layer, then use the Select Shape tool to shift-select several shapes, and cut them, only the first shape gets pasted when I paste in the new layer; the other shapes seem to have been consigned to oblivion.

This gives me two questions:

1. what could be causing these shapes to not get pasted onto the new layer?

2. is there a better workflow for this? maybe "select some shapes, use the New Layer From Selection hotkey/modifier/button/menu item/script that I haven't found yet?"
old lady who might finally be recovering from having worked at Spumco at the turn of the century
SimplSam

Re: Moving multiple shapes to a new layer.

Post by SimplSam »

Use the Select Points tool instead. Then you can cut/copy/paste multiple shapes.

Or there is the RT: Break Apart Shapes script tool- in the menu: Scripts > Layer Effects >
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

This script cuts selected points and pastes them in a new layer: Note that it will move the selected points to a new layer, and all shapes that belong to those points. It does not consider shape selection at all.
egypturnash

Post by egypturnash »

Thanks, folks!

Using the point selection tool instead of the shape selection tool worked, after consulting the manual told me how to select an entire shape by clicking in its fill with the Select Points tool. Someday I will understand the way Moho thinks about points and shapes; I've been spending most of the past twenty years using Illustrator so I am very used to the way that thinks about points and paths and I am finding the distinction between point and shape selection super confusing right now. Hopefully by the time I've done a couple of walk cycle exercises it will make sense.

The script SimplSam suggested just brought up an error console that I am nowhere near ready to comprehend yet (though maybe someday, my Illustrator practice is full of little scripts I hacked up to make frequent tasks faster), but Lukas' script is working. Mostly. Sometimes it just copies the points without the shapes. Sometimes it doesn't. But now I've got all these rough shapes on their own layers and I get to see how far I can get on boning this up without referring back to the tutorials and/or manuals, yay!
old lady who might finally be recovering from having worked at Spumco at the turn of the century
kakubei

Post by kakubei »

I’m m having a similar issue but even selecting the lints it copies them but when I paste, nothing shows up.

Another solution: duplicate the layer then delete what you don’t want :D faster and easier.