Eye rig- making lids invisible?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gibble

Eye rig- making lids invisible?

Post by Gibble »

Hey Gang!

I am setting up an eye rig and I want the starting frame [Fr.01] to be invisible.
See below for a better understanding.

It seems I cannot animate the Smart Bone to control visibility from 0% to 100%- or is this possible? I may be simply unaware of how to do this too.

Option 2: Switching the Layer Order to hide the starting point to be behind the eyeball- but this seems messy and I am sure there is a cleaner solution.
I am open to any suggestions on how to make this work in a different way too. Masks won't be an option though b/c I want the eyelid to also cover the black ring around the eyesocket too.
Greenlaw

Re: Eye rig- making lids invisible?

Post by Greenlaw »

There are many ways to do this. Here are a handful of suggestions...

- If the item is in its own layer, keyframe the layer's visibility. This is what I usually do.
- If the item is in the same layer as the rest of the eye, keyframe the alpha for the Style.
- Enable Animated Shape Order and hide the item behind other shapes in the layer.
- If the eye is a mask, animate the lid to outside the mask in a single frame.
- If the elements are in the same layer, use Liquid Shapes to mask out the element.
- Use a Switch layer to switch to a version without the item, or if it's in its own layer, switch to an empty layer.

I've used any of the above at one time or another. The best/easiest approach depends on how you've layered the items out, and how you're animating it.

Fun design, btw...what I can see of it, anyway. :)
Gibble

Post by Gibble »

Thanks so much for all the great solutions, DR! There are many good options to choose from. I appreciate that you listed out all the possibilities, that is a great help!
And thanks for the kind note on the character design. I completed all the turnaround, mouthcharts, expression, etc so now onto the rigging!
Thx DR!!!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

If the lid is not masked, I make it "invisible" via point animation: just make it so small and place it on another outline.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Gibble

Post by Gibble »

Thanks for that suggestion SlowTiger! Another great tip :)