Lottie / JSON Export Option

Discuss ideas for new features with other users. To submit feature requests to Smith Micro, please visit support.smithmicro.com

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Sven Media

Lottie / JSON Export Option

Post by Sven Media »

Moho being a primarily vector animation software, you would expect that this feature would be embedded from inception but it is not. I tried to find a script for it and there is none to be found.

And so, I am requesting for this very essential feature to be built in to our beloved animation software, Moho.
(Shouldn't be too difficult I hope, OR, If there's any benevolent scripting artist that would like to give it a go, please do take a shot at it)
hayasidist

Re: Lottie / JSON Export Option

Post by hayasidist »

please take a look at https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35050

just because it's JSON doesn't mean that two programs that both use JSON can share data. Saying "it uses JSON" is a lot like saying "it uses the western alphabet and standard British English punctuation conventions" ... by analogy: Moho speaks Latin; Lottie speaks English.

If you want the moho JSON it's in the .moho -- open that as a .zip and extract the .mohoproj which is a plain text (white space removed) file
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

Sven Media wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:24 am Moho being a primarily vector animation software, you would expect that this feature would be embedded from inception but it is not...
1998 - Moho created
2001 - JSON format created
2015 - Lottie format created
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Sven Media

Post by Sven Media »

hayasidist wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:14 pm please take a look at https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35050

just because it's JSON doesn't mean that two programs that both use JSON can share data. Saying "it uses JSON" is a lot like saying "it uses the western alphabet and standard British English punctuation conventions" ... by analogy: Moho speaks Latin; Lottie speaks English.

If you want the moho JSON it's in the .moho -- open that as a .zip and extract the .mohoproj which is a plain text (white space removed) file
I'm just saying, it would be nice to be able to export lottie animations from moho. If I could, I'd write a script for it myself, but I don't have the necessary skillset to pull that off, hence my request.
Sven Media

Post by Sven Media »

SimplSam wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:32 pm
Sven Media wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:24 am Moho being a primarily vector animation software, you would expect that this feature would be embedded from inception but it is not...
1998 - Moho created
2001 - JSON format created
2015 - Lottie format created
Didn't know that. Thank you SimplSam
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Sven Media wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:21 am I'm just saying, it would be nice to be able to export lottie animations from moho. If I could, I'd write a script for it myself, but I don't have the necessary skillset to pull that off, hence my request.
My view is that it's not realistically possible (i.e. it will take a long time and not give a good result) -- the underlying structural concepts look to be really quite different. The constraints that would, I think, need to be put on what can and can't be exported from Moho would be significant. Might be able to go the other way (Lottie into Moho). But that's just my view -- anyone with the time and motivation to take up the challenge is welcome to prove me wrong!
Sven Media

Post by Sven Media »

hayasidist wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:43 am

That is unfortunate. Thank you for helping me understand
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Just a heads up, i was asked today about Lottie custom animations for our company, because a lot of departments use SimpleShow to make an explainer for the Intranet here and there and would like to have custom characters in our company CI that move. Simpleshow now supports Lottie import. After Effects and Animate CC have a Plugin for that but i talked to our web developer and he also said, Lottie's definitely getting in demand now so it's probably something Moho should look into one of these days.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

For any one wanting a challenge this is the (current) lottie file format description:

https://lottiefiles.github.io/lottie-docs/concepts/

and the moho interfaces to corresponding properties are here:

https://mohoscripting.com/modules/MOHO
ayeshat0

Post by ayeshat0 »

Sven Media wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:24 am Moho being a primarily vector animation software, you would expect that this feature would be embedded from inception but it is not. I tried to find a script for it and there is none to be found.

And so, I am requesting for this very essential feature to be built into our beloved animation software, Moho.
(Shouldn't be too difficult I hope, OR, If there's any benevolent scripting artist that would like to give it a go, please do take a shot at it)
I was looking for the same thing i.e. If there any way I can export animated gifs to Lottie files? I came to a solution. You can simply export an animated gif from Moho and then upload that gif to your Lottie account "convert video and image sequence to Lottie" option.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

just before anyone gets too excited about this... it looks to me as though the "converter" in effect makes an image out of each frame, and creates a lottie json file that displays each frame in sequence -- IOW it DOES NOT convert the images to vectors - it steps through (for want of a better description) a [raster] image sequence.

(in Moho, the equivalent would be to take a video, make a raster image [e.g. jpg, png, bmp, whatever] from each frame and have these as the child layers in an FBF group)

In another experiment I ran using a different online "movie to lottie" converter, a 3.2 second .mp4 (97 frames) created from a 29 frame .gif was reduced to 11 (raster image) frames that were similarly stepped through - on the plus side, with proper regard to timing and duration.