So what are the biggest differences between 13.5 and 14?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lazyroll

So what are the biggest differences between 13.5 and 14?

Post by lazyroll »

Considering upgrading, but not quite sure if it's really worth it. :?
synthsin75

Re: So what are the biggest differences between 13.5 and 14?

Post by synthsin75 »

Aside from new features that you may or may not have an immediate use for, the far more accurate workspace display is huge. Things like masking and blend mode changes can be seen without having to render a frame.
Hoptoad

Post by Hoptoad »

If Moho named their updates similar to Minecraft, this would be the "Masking Update," in my opinion.

Masking has been improved, and Liquid Shapes is essentially a new type of masking.

If you use masks a lot, consider updating for that reason alone.

Version 14 also has a lot of helpful buttons on the timeline. Research the buttons. You might consider upgrading for the buttons.
lazyroll

Post by lazyroll »

Thank you all, decided to buy it. Older projects have some weird glitches but hopefully that won't affect new projects.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

There are some issues with importing older Moho files to Moho 14, but this isn’t exactly new…I had issues importing Moho 12.5 files to Moho 13.5. When I need to bring in old data to the latest version of Moho, I’ve come to expect seeing some problem. But once I’ve updated the files, it’s all good.

To be safe, be sure to keep copies of your older project files and the older version of Moho installed.

Tip: When I’m working on a production that was started in an older version of software, I’ll stay with older version of until that production is completed, and only use the new software experimentally, or for new productions only after the new software has been proven production-ready. (At my workplace, this is standard policy,)
lazyroll

Post by lazyroll »

Greenlaw wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:05 pm There are some issues with importing older Moho files to Moho 14, but this isn’t exactly new…I had issues importing Moho 12.5 files to Moho 13.5. When I need to bring in old data to the latest version of Moho, I’ve come to expect seeing some problem. But once I’ve updated the files, it’s all good.

To be safe, be sure to keep copies of your older project files and the older version of Moho installed.

Tip: When I’m working on a production that was started in an older version of software, I’ll stay with older version of until that production is completed, and only use the new software experimentally, or for new productions only after the new software has been proven production-ready. (At my workplace, this is standard policy,)
That's clever! Thank you very much, Greenlaw! There's nothing worse than messing up your ongoing projects.
Lae82

Post by Lae82 »

The Blob brush works much better in V14 and pen/eraser feels more responsive. Curvers is a really nice feature, I've experimented using it instead of bones on a character. Liquid shapes is probably the "coolest" feature since you can mask several shape objects on only one vector layer. Useful for eyes animation and blinking. Liquid shapes makes less vector layers needed for certain setups.
rayamc

Post by rayamc »

Overall it's a good update, with plenty of new features but the new rendering engine has a lot of issues. For example the threshold of a shaded object isn't shown, just the soft shading. This makes it very hard to work with if you are using threshold. Sometimes the currently select layer doesn't show effects and you have to deselect it to see them. Also I find that motion blur can get stuck on without anyway of turning it back off which sometimes makes rendering times unbearable!

It's a mixed bag as some of these issues can make it hard to work with compared to 13 but it's definitely recommended if threshold shading isn't a show stopper for you
Jiyahana

Post by Jiyahana »

Hi lazyroll,

The biggest differences between Moho 13.5 and 14 include significant improvements to the workspace display and masking functionality, with Liquid Shapes offering a new type of masking. Version 14 also includes helpful buttons on the timeline for easier navigation and control.

It's great to hear that you've decided to upgrade.