Masking Groups Within a Group

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Matoran

Masking Groups Within a Group

Post by Matoran »

Hi. Is it possible to have multiple small Groups within a single larger Group, and have any masking done in those smaller Groups affect the layers of the other smaller Groups? For example, if you had a hand in a single Group, with smaller Groups within that large Group consisting of fingers, shadows, etc., would any masking done within those smaller Groups affect the layers in the other smaller Groups below it? I hope that makes sense. :shock:

I can't seem to figure this out.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Matoran

Re: Masking Groups Within a Group

Post by Matoran »

I'd love to find an answer to this, but if not, totally fine. I just realized that I didn't need to have Groups within a Group in the first place. The entire setup works perfectly now that I've put all the layers within the one Group.
Greenlaw

Re: Masking Groups Within a Group

Post by Greenlaw »

Masking works much better in Moho 14.1 than it did in previous versions. In general, the display preview is more accurate now in more situations, and I think masking is improved for rendering too.

To be safe, I like to keep my masking straightforward, so rather than trying to combine masks through nested groups, I'll make separate masks for each group. This can mean creating duplicates or references of masks for multiple mask groups. The project winds up with more layers as a result, but display and performance can also be more reliable this way.

When in doubt, use Ctrl+R to make sure the rendered result is what you want. Moho will try to be accurate in the display preview, but in a few situations, it isn't.

Also, you might consider using Liquid Shapes for in-layer masking. This works when you have a single layer with multiple shapes, and it can be combined with regular masking.

Hope this helps.